Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
Even if it's just to donate to someone else?

I am grappling with this now that I have the use of an Accuquilt Go! The scraps might be just one inch wide tapering six inches down to nothing. Should I keep scraps that small? I know that some people might use them to stuff pincushions, or use them for fusing snippet landscapes, but that's definitely not me. I'm a larger scrap sort of person; about 3 inches in every direction is probably my smallest useable size.

What I am wondering is if I should be saving the smaller scraps for someone else who might be able to use them. Is this worthwhile? If so, how do I find these people. If not, should I be throwing the scraps in the garbage or into recycling for Goodwill (I assume to be made into paper)?

I read years ago that we should not put fabric scraps out for birds nests because fabric doesn't dry out fast enough after a rain, endangering baby birds in the nest. So, that option is out for me.
Do you belong to a guild? Someone there may be into doll quilts and miniatures. (My guild friends now save them for me). Check with your LQS--they may know of someone or a charity quilt group who uses those smaller pieces.
I too have a hard time throwing away fabric. At $9 a yard, an inch of fabric from selvage to selvage is worth 25 cents :shock: