Thread: Fmq?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Weezy Rider

Default Fmq?

Where is a discussion on the ways and whys? I'd like to learn, but I'm a minimalist. I've looked as those done on a frame, and I think there is way too much stitching. I wouldn't want one.The only time I'd care to see that much is on a whole cloth quilt.

I've got small areas I'd like to do, and maybe borders. Since I do QAYG, the design is already quilted.

I just finished a paper pieced wall hanging. I'm looking at another one. This one has an appliqued animal that is ironed on. I don't trust iron-on in the long run. So what do you do? Zigzag around the applique? Quilt over it? I'm not a fan of raggy edges, either.

I always satin stitched applique - usually on garments. Those have lasted over 20 years with repeated washings. On one, the fabric disintegrated first!

The one wallhanging I just did had those Geese triangles. I can do a smaller outline in the triangle, no problem. But what do you do with other designs if you aren't doing QAYG?

BTW - I'm judging from a quilt my grandma made me. I think it was mostly SITD and the other stuff was appliqued on after the quilt was done. It lasted over 25 years with heavy usage. Have no idea what batting she used, but fabric was mostly decent cotton.