View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM
DebbieG

We just did that 2 years ago...my husband always wanted to retire to a warmer climate, with some seasons and good fishing. He put in for a transfer with his job (unbeknownst to me) in May or June 2010 and received a letter on July 3 saying he was being considered.....then was notified in August that he was to report for work in Fort Smith, Arkansas on October 9, 2010. We owned a farmette in Wisconsin, with some animals, mini donkeys, horses, pygmy goats and an old farmhouse we had raised our boys and lived in for 23 years. We had an auction and attempted to sell our house and sold everything else but some personal pieces. Everything we owned fit in to an 8' x 10' POD. We loaded up our 5th wheel camper with our 2 dogs and moved south. We lived in the 5th wheel for 3 months before we found a house to our liking to purchase in Greenwood, AR at the end of December 2010....our house in Wisconsin didn't sell until February 2012....2011 was a nightmare and I had a horrible time adjusting away from the kids....if I had it to do over again I'm not sure I would..or maybe change the way I did things....I retired from a job I loved in order to retain some of the sick leave bank I had accumulated...I think I may have remained in Wisconsin and continued to work until the farmette sold and let The Hubs and his dog go south by himself until things sold....