Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thoughts on Downsizing to another State. >

Thoughts on Downsizing to another State.

Thoughts on Downsizing to another State.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM

When I retire and we move, we plan to rent in the area we are interested in to see if we really like it before committing to a purchase. It means we will have to put a lot of stuff into storage, but I'd rather do that than buy and then discover we've made a mistake.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM

I have wanted to move back to where are kids are, so i have kept a service with one of the realtors and they send me listings daily. I keep an eye on the market and know both financially and stylewise what is available. I can keep a eye on trends, as well. When I'm ready to move i. Will hopefully have a idea where to look.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM

We had a slightly different situation. We have no kids and both hated our jobs. I was working to pay the mortgage on a big house in Mass. My mother died and left us a paid for condo 1/3 the size of our house in Ga. We had a huge several day yard sale to downsize, even had to give a bedroom set to charity because we couldn't sell it fast enough. We had friends in Ga so that wasn't a problem. We do miss some aspects of Mass. but don't miss the hated jobs. After 20 years, we've finally filled the condo with too much junk, but that's mostly because I'm too sick to swamp it out.

I agree with those who say to try to sell your house first. Then move to the area for a while on a rental basis to see if you still like it. Things do change over the years and you'll need to be sure you can get the medical care you need. It will be worth while storing your furniture for a while to see if your new area works, much cheaper then buying a mistake!! And May's tips are right on the money.
Good luck whatever you decide.