Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM
TanyaL

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
This board, and every little shred of information posted on it, is completely open to anyone in the world with internet access...no membership required. You may feel like you are just 'talking to friends' or that 'no one here would do me harm', but that's just not realistic in today's world.

My sense of safety and privacy, however imaginary that may be, trumps your sense of curiosity as to my whereabouts. If I need help with something that needs regional knowledge, as in your LQS or machine examples, there are plenty of resources available, both IRL and via a web search, without revealing any personal information whatsoever.

It is one thing to mention your location in a post from time to time, it is another to wear a sign with your address on it which is what the profile info does.
I like the idea of safety and privacy. Where do you have it stored? My health insurance company has just sent us a form asking us if we wanted to change any info or change plans for the coming year and informing us of increasing rates. They also informed us of the not so new service that our entire health record is now on computer and available for any medical personnel anywhere to access as per gov't requirement. My bank called us last month to tell us someone in the UK had gone shopping with our bank card. We sold a vehicle and bought a different one this fall. Companies I never heard of have approached via our personal phone telling us the mileage of the new car and saying we need to service it this way and that and insure it this way and that. I've had companies call and tell me the age of my appliances and suggest I use their sale to either buy a new one or buy a service contract. So I repeat, where do you keep your safety and privacy ?