Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
kay carlson

Default How are you going to keep yourself on track for using your stash?

I finished a quilt in 2006 with a Buggy Barn crazy quilt theme. Last night I came across some extra portions of blocks and decided to create fabric and cut out 9-inch square sections for potholders.

The only thing that will keep me on track is a journal.

So far, I have sewn together pieces of Insul-Brite to make ten potholders. I've also zigzagged odds and ends of Warm and Natural to create ten potholders. While at it, I was inspired to zigzag the remaining pieces of Warm and Natural to create usable portions for other projects.

With ten tops, ten Insul-Brite layers and ten Warm and Natural layers the backing squares were next. From scraps I was able to cut six squares and only had to use one fat quarter for the remaining four squares.

Three potholders are now completed. Seven more remain to be turned, closed and topstitched.

How do I feel? I accomplished something. The leftover block pieces and backings were from high quality LQS fabric and the scraps of Insul-Brite/ Warm and Natural are now usable. I am sure a local soup kitchen will put these potholders to good use. The bonus is straightening up the sewing area and creating something useful.

After I finish the potholders, I will work on another UFO started three years ago. Hubby bought us a Christmas wall hanging so perhaps I will alternate projects.

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.