Thread: Piecrust woes
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Butterflyblue

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
OMG!!!! This is the EXACT way I make my pie crust!!! My favorite Aunt that passed away taught it to me years ago, and it's the only way I've ever made pie crust. Even down to using the spatula to help put it into the plate and folding the edges under. I call it my secret as I won't give it out and people call it award winning. Cool to see it on the board! I recommend it, but you do have to handle it carefully when putting it into the plate. Never any problems with baking or soggy bottoms either!
You're right, it is a little delicate going into the plate. I always start at one side of the crust and roll it up on to my rolling pin, then unroll it over the pie pan and press it in. If it sticks a little to the table as I'm rolling it up, then I use the spatula just to get that bit unstuck.

Sometimes the pie crust tears and I just push the torn edges back together and squish them really good so they stay. My crust is not always pretty, but you should have seen the crusts I had to throw out when I was using that stupid Better Homes and Gardens recipe. I couldn't even get them into the pan, it was just one big lumpy mess.