Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 PM
LyndaOH

Originally Posted by FabricHeaven View Post
As a relative new quilter, I have followed this discussion with interest. My question is how do I wind a bobbin from a cone? I have just picked up sewing after a 30 year absence and am only familiar with winding bobbins from small spools of thread. Thanks very much.
It depends on the sewing machine, but on mine you do it exactly the same way. Place the cone on the spool holder and thread it the same way you would if you were winding from a spool. If your machine can't use a cone, you can set the cone behind the machine (usually on a cone holder), thread it through the top of the cone holder and if your machine has one, through the little loop on your machine and then through the usual patch for winding a bobbin.

If your machine doesn't have a little loop built in, you can tape a safety pin to the machine and use the little loop in the pin as your first spot in the path.

I know I haven't explained this very well; maybe someone else will come along with a diagram. Actually, here's a much better explanation: http://www.ehow.com/how_7689581_use-...g-machine.html