Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

I am interested in knowing about Bottom Line before I do a purchase. I have bought from Superior Threads a few times, but would like inpput about this thread. This might sound totally stupid, but is Bottom Line for the bobbin? Thank you, Jeanne
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I use bottom line in my bobbins alot. It is 60wt - very fine and strong. ( I think nylon or blend - my label does not say) Because it is so fine, I don't have to change the bobbin so often. At first I was afraid the stitches would not show because it is so thin, but I find that is not the case.
    Beth in Maryland

Banned
    It's a 60 wt poly designed for the bobbin
    Lots of quilters also applique with it - so fine it disappears regardless of what colour you use.

Bottom line is intended for embroidery. When you're doing machine embroidery and have a thread dense design you don't want the thread so thick on the back side.

I personally don't see much point to using it to piece with. Sure it's finer and you get more on a bobbin but at the same time you've got two different threads in your seam and one may cut the other over time.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-25-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: remove copyright material
    Got fabric?

I use the superbob per wound bobbins with bottomline for quilting. it is thinner than i would like for piecing. Great stuff. Tough and easy to use.

pam

I use it for a lot of different things, as mentioned above, but I especially like it in combination with Superior's Sew Fine for piecing. It's a great combo.

Banned
    It is old, outdated quilting lore that top and bottom threads must be the same.
    I've been quilting for 30+ years, often using different threads, quilts have been well used and washed alot - no problems.
    We really need to put to rest a lot of the old rules.

My Bernina machine worked just fine when piecing with the Bottom Line in my bobbin, but when I used the Bottom Line with my Brother, the tension was all wrong. I switched back to same weight thread.

Blog Entries
    Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website
    Strange, since they recommend it for applique.

I wouldn't use it anywhere where an iron would come in contact for good pressing. The poly will melt with a cotton setting iron. I plan on using it for my metallics and fussy threads for embellishment purposes. Not for piecing or quilting.

I use Bottom Line thread in my bobbins when I do machine embroidery. You can get a lot of it on a bobbin, so it saves a lot of bobbin changes.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    ??? Can you please point out where you found this information on their website?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-25-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: remove copyright material
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I got the Thread Therapy DVD from Superior recently, and Dr. Bob does give that ironing caution about Bottom Line on the DVD. Incidentally, this DVD is free from the website, just pay about $4 for shipping, until December 11th. It's really worth it; lots of good information in it. Here is a link to the special offer:
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...hread-Seminar/

However, I think the best thing to do is to actually test with your iron to see for yourself if it melts or not. I bought a spool of Threadart 60wt polyester bobbin thread from Amazon just because it was really inexpensive and I was curious about it. I sewed some test seams and then held my Rowenta iron on the thread for more than 10 seconds, on its hottest setting, and there was absolutely no melting or other damage to the thread. I ***love*** this thread for piecing! Not only does the bobbin hold a lot more, so I run out of thread much less frequently, but it's easier for me to get accurate seams because it takes up so little space in the turn-of-the-cloth. Plus it's not linty, so I don't need to clean my machine as often! Here's a link to the spool on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bobbin-Thread-...dp/B0034W118Q/

I recently tried Connecting Threads 70wt poly thread in my midarm, because I really like the quilting thread to not show a lot, but it broke a few times. So now I've ordered a spool of Bottom Line. I'm hoping that being just a little stronger, it will work well in my midarm. I found that the least expensive place to order Bottom Line and King Tut is from this website:
    http://www.kenquilt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Bottom line is intended for embroidery. When you're doing machine embroidery and have a thread dense design you don't want the thread so thick on the back side.

I personally don't see much point to using it to piece with. Sure it's finer and you get more on a bobbin but at the same time you've got two different threads in your seam and one may cut the other over time.
    I use Bottom Line in the bobbin AND in the top when I'm piecing. It cuts down on the bulk in the seam. I've also used it in the longarm (top and bottom) when I want to do a lot of backtracking, or don't want the thread to show much.

I realize that Superior recommends their (more expensive) 50 weight cotton thread for piecing, but I have never had any problem with the thread melting, and I do use a hot iron.

I took a FMQ class on Craftsy and she uses Bottom Line for all of her stitch in the ditch.

Bottom Line is all I ever use in both top and bobbin for FMQ on my Janome. I took a class from an instructor who uses only
    Bottom Line top & bottom for FMQ . She does absolutely georgous quilting! Another great thing about Bottom Line is that whatever color you use it seams to sink into the fabric. I love, love, love it!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Another place to buy both So Fine and Bottom Line, as well as many other threads, is www.sewthankful.com. They are great to deal with and have frequent specials.

I use it for piecing, applique, bindings and in my HandiQuilter bobbins. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I got the Thread Therapy DVD from Superior recently, and Dr. Bob does give that ironing caution about Bottom Line on the DVD. Incidentally, this DVD is free from the website, just pay about $4 for shipping, until December 11th. It's really worth it; lots of good information in it. Here is a link to the special offer:
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...hread-Seminar/
    Thanks for the link, Prisma. I just ordered the free DVD. I've watched a few of Bob's youtube vids and I think it will be nice to have it on DVD.

I use their Masterpiece thread for piecing an top and bobbin. And I use Bottom Line in my bobbins on my long arm and in both when doing SID.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I received my DVD and viewed it today. It is really SUPERIOR information. Bob defines the uses of each weight and why. He also explains why topstitch titanium coated is a superior needle. I have used them and agree. They last much longer and are well worth the $1 extra price for 4. They also will bend instead of breaking which keeps them from going into your machine if you have a mishap.

I use Bottom Line in bobbin when piecing, in bobbin in Longarm and even as a top thread in both when I want to use a finer thread. It has never MELTED when I use a hot iron. I even mix the thread sizes & types of thread in my machine, but always use Bottom Line. I have even used Superiors "So Fine" in the bobbin and it works great too!

I really hate to sound dumb, but when you say bottom line thread, are you referring to the prewound bobbins?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast