View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Let's face it, Quilters. We who have been quilting for years are familiar and comfortable with "our" fabrics. At our “age” we generally aren't as easily attracted to "new stuff".

Neither were the quilters of the sixties, seventies, and very early eighties when the "new prints" that weren't calicoes began to come into the market place. But those designs prevailed, and great, interesting, award winning patterns and quilts began to draw in more and more quilters (probably many of you who are reading this post.)

Now we are going through yet another "resurgence" in the industry....and I'd venture that, after nearly 30 years it's about time. Especially if it draws in a whole new generation of quilters. We were the ones who carried it forward beyond our mothers/grandmothers; now the new ones will do that for us.

Just like long skirts, or platform heels, or short jackets instead of blazers, or SUVs over station wagons, we eventually adapt and accept, and our "eye" gets used to seeing the "new stuff". Choosing to jump in and use it alot may come hard when we are "used to" making certain kinds of quilts, agreed. I haven't done it yet. I know many of you haven't either. But like the old expression, "I'm married, I ain't blind!" for men, I'm a senior but I ain't "OLD"!

I want to try new things, new technology, new experiences, even new fabric designs. And maybe it’s time to learn FROM the “youngers” rather than just teaching them. I think some of this “new stuff” looks neat, clean, fresh……even if it is easier, quicker to sew. The young ones of today need that ease in their lives. Adapting to life as it evolves is what has made quilters the unique, stalwart individuals they are.

Jan in VA