View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
SonjaG

This article is about a lot more than quilting. This article is about the dramatic change our society has undergone. The author states that "quilting fails to hold the interest of most Americans today." I hate to agree with him/her, but it is true. MOST Americans, especially younger ones, have no interest in handcrafted arts or learning a skill that they see as useless. The author also states, "...department stores carry a wide selection of affordable bedding, and special memories can be recorded by photographs and videos rather than by laboring over scraps of cloth, quilts have become largely irrelevant in modern culture." This speaks volumes about how Americans raised on electronics and gadgets view things. Why labor over a quilt made from scraps of every dress your daughter owned when you can record a video of her in the dresses? That's not how I feel, but I am certain there is a large segment of America that thinks that way. Too may children have never taken on a project that requires commitment, such as quilting, and seen it through to completion without bribes from parents. I mean, really, we live in a society where every kid playing soccer gets a trophy so their feelings aren't hurt, and they don't keep score, because apparently winning is bad and losing doesn't build character anymore. As for the wasted money? I don't think the government should be funding museums like this or any other. Let private enterprise do that. I'm not a fan of big government, and I'll leave it at that. Oh, goodness, let me jump off this soapbox now. LOL.