Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting is irrelevant?

Blog Entries

Quilting is irrelevant?

I think the author may have gotten a proper attitude adjustment by now... if not I would be a willing participant/ volunteer in that assignment.

I love when people rant about things they know nothing about. It really does make them look uneducated. I am just surprised it was actually published by the editor without really checking into it.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Many things bother me about that article, but the most irksome is the fact that the author didn't have the guts to sign it - and the publisher condoned it. Shame on both of them.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Hard to believe that this was written...quilting is a huge part of our American heritage and a form of art...I think the writer is very ignorant, and that someone needs to educate them. 2 of my friends were recently there for a tour, and were very impressed. We need to preserve handmade quilts...not trivialize them as if they are the same as mass produced quilts. Makes me sad...and angry that someone would write an article like this...and think that tax dollars are wasted for this museum. I think tax dollars are being used in a good way and would rather my dollars go to this, than a lot of other things they go towards.

Blog Entries
    The author is obviously very peeved that quilt money is not going to pay for more free cell phones to all that are entitled.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I agree with all of you, if i knew the author, id start a petition for him/her to have to make a king size grm flower grd, pp. They are ignorant as to the history a quiltholds. Quilts aint just for keepin warm anymore.

I agree Sue. I guess he's entitled to his opinion, it's just a very uninformed opinion.

Blog Entries
    If you read the comments at the bottom of the story, there are some very good rebuttals by some big names in the quilt industry.

"On the internet you can be anything you want. It's surprising how many choose to be stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The author is obviously very peeved that quilt money is not going to pay for more free cell phones to all that are entitled.
    AHHH BellaBoo don't even get me started on free cell phones....This article is obviously not researched. I hope the author was not paid for this drivel.

Power Poster
    Wonder what the reaction would be if "baseball" or "antique cars" were substituted for "quilts" in the article?

I don't find it surprising that he/she didn't sign their name to the article.
    Vicki W

This author must value his opinion more than anyone else's opinion. I say that because he made statements of how much money was given in grants and public funding, but sited no sources or made any comparison as to demonstrate how better the money could be spent. In my opinion, quilts are a good example of how to recycle material. Quilts are works of art, the same as pottery, paintings, music, and photography. I think that he worries about the money spent for a museum to house our art, but did he mention the joy that a child feels when a quilt is given them at the scene of a fire, a soldier recovering in a veterans hospital, or the old veteran, or the joy a family feels when the quilt of a loved one is given to them at their passing at a hospice house. Irrelevant, tell those thousands who receive free quilts from quilters whose only payments is the joy it gives them to know they made a difference, ahhh! I feel better. Thank you.

I think the point they were trying to make is that in today's economy with so many out of work, and things being so unsettled, and the cost of food rising, and etc. it was foolish to spend taxpayer money on a museum that is for quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    If you read the comments at the bottom of the story, there are some very good rebuttals by some big names in the quilt industry.
    I read all the comments but couldn't tell who was a big name by the names on the comments.

I found it interesting that no one really supported or agreed with the ideas of the author.

Actually, it was so one-sided, that I agree with those that say if he substituted "baseball" or "nascar" or something that men have a tendency to do/love, there would be no discussion. There is so much actual "waste" of taxpayer money--replacing chairs/computers/equipment that doesn't need to be replaced simply because someone got a grant and has to spend it, that it is difficult for me to fathom that someone actually found fault with the museum.
    Last edited by justflyingin; 11-21-2012 at 11:54 PM.

QM
    Many people spout off and in doing so demonstrate their ignorance. Certainly, we as a people need to make some hard choices to correct our fiscal problems, but our art and history are an essential part of who we are. Yes, these days blankets are much cheaper that quilts, but when I give a quilt to a foster child, I know that quilt will have meaning to him/her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    DITTO! And did they publish an article like this on the $50, million tax dollars for the bridge to nowhere?

I wonder how much $$$ goes toward sports for NFL dreamers. I am sure that this article will hit the major quilt magazines for comments.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You can tell this person is not a quilt lover. Yet an ugly painting is considered "art" and tons of money is spend to keep them housed in perfect surrounds. I'd choose the beautiful quilt any day!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I love this quote. Is it original with you?
    The writer of the article needs to do some research about some other tax wasting programs, and get an attitude adjustment. Perhaps he/she also needs to research the amount of money generated by the museum in terms of tourist dollars, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    "On the internet you can be anything you want. It's surprising how many choose to be stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I love this quote. Is it original with you?
    The writer of the article needs to do some research about some other tax wasting programs, and get an attitude adjustment. Perhaps he/she also needs to research the amount of money generated by the museum in terms of tourist dollars, etc.
    Originally Posted by Greenheron
    So very true. I loved this quote!

Anyone can say anything she likes. That doesn't mean
    anyone else has to care what they say.

I think HE was wise to remain anonymous.....Quilters could needle him to death for that stupid article!

Poor Poppet, no one ever gave him/her a quilt to use as a blankie when a baby. If they had, the outcome would have been different and the author not so cold and prickly. Just one more reason to make more quilts so no baby goes un-cuddled.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast