Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Quilting is irrelevant? >

Quilting is irrelevant?

Quilting is irrelevant?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The author is obviously very peeved that quilt money is not going to pay for more free cell phones to all that are entitled.
AHHH BellaBoo don't even get me started on free cell phones....This article is obviously not researched. I hope the author was not paid for this drivel.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

Wonder what the reaction would be if "baseball" or "antique cars" were substituted for "quilts" in the article?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM

I don't find it surprising that he/she didn't sign their name to the article.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM

This author must value his opinion more than anyone else's opinion. I say that because he made statements of how much money was given in grants and public funding, but sited no sources or made any comparison as to demonstrate how better the money could be spent. In my opinion, quilts are a good example of how to recycle material. Quilts are works of art, the same as pottery, paintings, music, and photography. I think that he worries about the money spent for a museum to house our art, but did he mention the joy that a child feels when a quilt is given them at the scene of a fire, a soldier recovering in a veterans hospital, or the old veteran, or the joy a family feels when the quilt of a loved one is given to them at their passing at a hospice house. Irrelevant, tell those thousands who receive free quilts from quilters whose only payments is the joy it gives them to know they made a difference, ahhh! I feel better. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 PM

I think the point they were trying to make is that in today's economy with so many out of work, and things being so unsettled, and the cost of food rising, and etc. it was foolish to spend taxpayer money on a museum that is for quilting.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If you read the comments at the bottom of the story, there are some very good rebuttals by some big names in the quilt industry.
I read all the comments but couldn't tell who was a big name by the names on the comments.

I found it interesting that no one really supported or agreed with the ideas of the author.

Actually, it was so one-sided, that I agree with those that say if he substituted "baseball" or "nascar" or something that men have a tendency to do/love, there would be no discussion. There is so much actual "waste" of taxpayer money--replacing chairs/computers/equipment that doesn't need to be replaced simply because someone got a grant and has to spend it, that it is difficult for me to fathom that someone actually found fault with the museum.

Last edited by justflyingin; 11-21-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 AM
QM
Power Poster

Many people spout off and in doing so demonstrate their ignorance. Certainly, we as a people need to make some hard choices to correct our fiscal problems, but our art and history are an essential part of who we are. Yes, these days blankets are much cheaper that quilts, but when I give a quilt to a foster child, I know that quilt will have meaning to him/her.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The author is obviously very peeved that quilt money is not going to pay for more free cell phones to all that are entitled.
DITTO! And did they publish an article like this on the $50, million tax dollars for the bridge to nowhere?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 AM

I wonder how much $$$ goes toward sports for NFL dreamers. I am sure that this article will hit the major quilt magazines for comments.
Sandy
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 AM

You can tell this person is not a quilt lover. Yet an ugly painting is considered "art" and tons of money is spend to keep them housed in perfect surrounds. I'd choose the beautiful quilt any day!