View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
stillclock

i wanted to read this because i bought some really beautiful william morris fabrics from rose and hubble about 12 years ago. i've always had them in mind, but have done a number of projects in between. those fabrics are very beautiful, and now i have completed a sufficient number of quilts that i feel i could do something really special with those ones.

so i've been looking for morris prints, and i am so disappointed by what i see. not only are the british studios non-existent or well (WELL) beyond a reasonable price range for me right now, the moda/ barabara brackman designs maintain the design aesthetic but are printed with fewer colours. her newest morris apprentice line is practically monochromatic.

as for all the modern fabrics...well. i don't buy precuts and i don't buy whole lines (ever). i think there's a lot of "cute" going on, but i am not at all convinced that the colour stories are going to age well at all. that teal and red/pink combo is lovely...for now.

i remember avocado appliances. and i know how i feel when i see burnt umber wallpaper. i feel like a lot of the hot colour stories right now are going to age just like that.

i am working with older ssi fabrics right now, and i still really adore the colours. but then...they are rich primaries for the most part. hard to think they'll ever really be dated, though i know they will. ah time...

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 11-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.