View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
maminstl

I've read through this thread with a lot of interest. I am a new quilter at the age of 59 - was never interested before because I do not have a traditional aesthetic. Stumbling over the modern quilts has opened a whole new interest for me. I think some of the new collections are beautiful, but it goes against my nature to do anything that way - as putting together my own colors and patterns is a big part of the fun for me. I still see lots and lots of traditional fabrics, at least in my neck of the woods - St. Louis, that I pass right over unless there is something about a specific color that might attract me. I love orange, always the first color my eye goes to. Deep pastels, brights - all speak to me, as do neutrals. To add to another point regarding classes and magazines having nothing interesting - that happens with anything. As a new knitter I could not get enough of all that stuff. Now, I never buy a magazine - rarely want to go to a class. At some point, there is no more new, just a fresh take, or rehash, on stuff that has been around. I still have a strong interest in knitting, just don't need to spend money on books and mags anymore