Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 AM
cabinfever

You are hysterical! I am a clone. Although my husband does not like me acquiring any more machines, I share that love of the historic and beauty in the quality-made functional machines of old. I have wanted a treadle my whole life as well, and only recently got to sew on one at a friends house; she has 6 treadles, among her other 60+ machines. She is the one who sold me many of my working vintage machines. She cleans them all up and is a marvel at both quilting and sewing machine mechanics.

You are a generation younger than I, and it's nice to know a younger person who understands the significance of these treasures. I can really relate to your comment "I figure that if we ever have a meltdown of the power grid, I'll be able to sew forever because I have now acquired so many machines that do not require power!" I do have one treadle given to me by my MIL, although not working. Sadly, I always loved this machine in her livingroom. One day 10 years ago, my non-sewing SIL actually asked my MIL if she would give her the machine. I was shocked, as that is not OK in my family. My MIL promised it to her, but since she moved cross-country decided she didn't want it anymore; I hadn't realized until too late what happened. It got moved to the shop/barn, and sat there for 3-4 years. Although it was on a concrete floor and protected from rain, it got bird droppings all over the beautiful cabinet, and some of the parts, like the shuttle, were lost from the tilt-out during the move. It nows sits in my insulated shop, and although will not suffer any more damage, needs work.
I've decided I need to move back to the country, as I need more space for my "hobby"! Have a great day.