Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
carslo

Hi Jan in VA.

I have now used both methods 505 spray and Elmer's Washable School Glue. I find that I love the 505 Spray glue but the cost is high. I buy it online in the red can for about $13.00 a can (I buy it by the case). The 505 washes out completely and is easy to FMQ if you use a light hand when spraying. If I overdo it, my machine gets finicky. I am now on my 3rd King Size quilt using the Elmer's Washable School glue. I am very pleased with the results also, but because it has to dry (I am not going to iron those big quilts!) it does slow the process down. I drizzle the glue in about a 14 inch path across the batting starting in the middle and and then smooth it out. Batting backing let dry overnight and then top to batting overnight. Cost wise the school glue is more affordable (leaving more money for fabric!) A gallon of Elmer's School glue was 13.00 on Amazon and with do about 22 quilts I figure and I can get maybe 3 from a can of spray.
I hope this helps you in your decision. I have not used glue sticks - I would wonder if the batting would stick to the glue stick ( experienced gluer with sticks here from teaching) No, it has not been stiff either but I am still perfecting the correct amount to actually use!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I keep reading these post about Elmer's glue and am "this" close to giving it a whirl. But, a couple of questions:
When using the stick, does one completely cover the surface with it?
Or with the liquid?
Is it just a light swipe?
Does it feel stiff when it dries before quilting?

Does the basting spray wash out when the finished quilt is washed? Which one is preferred and why?

Any other tips or pointers for a wary gluer-to-be?

Jan in VA