View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM
soccertxi

I started with a table top frame (B-line) and a Juki machine. No one in my area had the same set up, so I was on my own. About 2 years later, I upgraded from the Juki to a Handiquilter16. Mine was a sit down model..I modified the carriage on the frame to hold the HQ16. That machine was a work horse. I found a Gammill used, local to me. My husband agreed it was time for me to jump up. I sold the other set up to a friend and she is still using it heavily. I am not sorry I started with a smaller set up. I learned alot - its a process for me. Some people can jump right in. That was not the case for me. I do have customers, but I dont' have to quilt for others to pay for my frame. I have a Gammill Classic Plus (the + is the stitch regulator). I doubt if I will ever upgrade to a computer assisted machine..... I like guiding the machine myself and am getting comfortable with free motion , SID and light custom designs. I think I may be ready to quilt more for others as my youngest just started driving. I will be free-ER to set up a routine to get more quilting done. Maybe one of the long armers who are close to you would be willing to share about their workload/opportunities in the area/etc. Some will not be willing, but in my area, they are very helpful. I guess it boils down to what will work for you. For me it was worth working up to my current set up. I would have been unhappy to spend all that money, only to find out that I didn't like it or was awful at it. Let us know how it works out!