Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
koigirl

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

I remember the old sewing machine my parents had and my parents both used it quite a bit. I can remember alot about it as far as what it looked like, but nothing about the details. The machine was black with Singer spelled in gold lettering. It was in a wood cabinet that had (I think) 3 drawers on the right and one in the front. I'm pretty sure the 3 drawers were rounded/curved. The single drawer had some kind of round 'thingy' inside, used for something?? When you opened up the cabinet to pull the machine out, you needed alot of room. Underneath the cabinet, with the stool pulled in close, made for the greatest hiding spot on rainy days playing Hide-n-Seek in the house.

I can remember once upon a time, my dad would lock himself in their bedroom late at night. I could hear the sewing machine going. I could not figure out what he was doing and I wanted to know SO badly. Christmas morning I opened up a box and it was FILLED with Barbie and Ken clothes that he had made. How he found the time and the energy for all those late nights, I will never know. He worked one full time job during the week, and another part-time in the evenings and plumbed houses on the weekends.

I wish I still had all those clothes AND the sewing machine. For all I know, they may still have it. I will have to ask. I have a baby blue Singer 347 made in the late 1960's. I don't use it, as I cannot find anyone around to work on it.