View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM
grannydawn

Im a flight attendant with SWA. I travel with my light weight yet fullsize Brother sewing machine on my overnights. I bought a lightweight quilted bag to carry it in. i surround it with fabric to protect it and so the scanner can see it I always tell TSA what it is as its going through and yes I always get comments about..you sew on your overnights? what do you make? and yes its been swiped before for explosives..no biggie. I go throughthe same or even heavier security checks as everyone else. Never a problem I carry dull end scissors and extra needles. you must check the size of the overhead bins for the size of the machine/ bag..and DO NOT expect a flight attendant to help you put it in the overhead bin..You pack it you stow it. Not being mean here but Im trained to save your life..not stow your stuff and if i had to do that for everyone who came on the plane I would not make it very many more years and I need my job. Id never check it..if you cant stow it..and not always will it fit under the seats..Id ship it from ups. there are many sewing machine roller bags on the market and I think they all fit above. We have several different types of 737's and the bins are all different so what may fit on one plane one way you might have to turn it another way on a different plane. I hesitated on whether to speak up but hope this helps I love to sew on the road and there are MANY of us that do. that means on a short overnight of 12-14 hours from plane to hotel and back to another plane I unpack my machine set it up sew a little sleep a little work out clean up and go back to work Its worth it!