Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying With Sewing Machine >

Flying With Sewing Machine

Flying With Sewing Machine

Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM

I fly SW often, and have taken many a sewing machine with me.....the key word here being one that I (meaning 130 lb. little ol' lady) bring it with me on the plane and off and let it rest either overhead or under the seat ahead of me. My grandchildren cannot believe their granny can do that. The black box for the FW was a problem at security once though; caused me and everyone around me to get wanded (whatever). A 301 should not be too heavy to handle; I have two, and they wouldn't be too heavy for me to handle--even though I might use one of those rolly type carriers. Good luck, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year (and keep us posted.).......
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 PM

If I were travelling with my machine, it would be inside with me ... I would never trust them to keep it safe ... Bonnie K. Hunter had a horrible experience this fall with her Featherweight being damaged after she had to check it. I believe it was actually broken - one has to wonder what they did to the poor thing.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I have traveled with my FW a couple of times. Once she got swabbed for drugs (she was SO upset! She would NEVER take drugs!), on the way home on that trip, they didnt even open the bag (but the TSA agent manning the scanner looked over the top and said with a big grin on his face "thats a sewing machine , isnt' it??! um..ya think? lol) I was able to tuck her under the seat in front of me. I had less room for my feet, but then I didn't have to worry about conking someone in the head with it when I got her down. My mom still cannot believe I will not use the sewing machine she has in an unheated/uncooled walk in closet with scorpions. It has not been used in literally YEARS...and I hated it when I learned on it! Happy travels...
Soccertxi, I travel with my Janome gem on southwest frequently, from CT to AZ and back! I live in Peoria, we are practically neighbors! The machine is usually swabbed, but for explosives, not drugs. Fits just fine overhead!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM

I remember when I was a flight attendant, I was sitting in the back of the plane after we landed in JFK. I was watching the ramp guys emptying the cargo compartment when they off-loaded a very large wooden case filled with parakeets. They hurled it onto the gurney, it broke and the sky was suddenly filled with small birds in flight. If you don't want it broken don't put it in the belly.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Im a flight attendant with SWA. I travel with my light weight yet fullsize Brother sewing machine on my overnights. I bought a lightweight quilted bag to carry it in. i surround it with fabric to protect it and so the scanner can see it I always tell TSA what it is as its going through and yes I always get comments about..you sew on your overnights? what do you make? and yes its been swiped before for explosives..no biggie. I go throughthe same or even heavier security checks as everyone else. Never a problem I carry dull end scissors and extra needles. you must check the size of the overhead bins for the size of the machine/ bag..and DO NOT expect a flight attendant to help you put it in the overhead bin..You pack it you stow it. Not being mean here but Im trained to save your life..not stow your stuff and if i had to do that for everyone who came on the plane I would not make it very many more years and I need my job. Id never check it..if you cant stow it..and not always will it fit under the seats..Id ship it from ups. there are many sewing machine roller bags on the market and I think they all fit above. We have several different types of 737's and the bins are all different so what may fit on one plane one way you might have to turn it another way on a different plane. I hesitated on whether to speak up but hope this helps I love to sew on the road and there are MANY of us that do. that means on a short overnight of 12-14 hours from plane to hotel and back to another plane I unpack my machine set it up sew a little sleep a little work out clean up and go back to work Its worth it!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 AM

I flew Canadian airlines from Kelowna B.C..to Gander NL with my featherweight. I put my needles and all the machine accessories in my checked bags and had no problems.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM

NEVER, EVER check your sewing machine through. They get thrown around. If not a huge machine, it can go in the overhead--have done that--but practice lifting it yourself to see if you can get it up there. If you travel much, I would recommend a metal carrier that is specifically built to hold a machine. Don't have the site, but do a Google search to find it.
SandyQuilter

Last edited by sandyquilts; 12-26-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: I'm not sandyquilts--but SandyQuilter
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

When I traveled with my sewing machine- I packed diapers (as I had a little one at the time) around it. When it went through security they had to open it and examine it. It still got broke in the process. I thought I had it packed really well.

Have you thought about shipping it home verses the airplane?

I would pack it really well and I would not check it. I've seen bags and boxes tossed onto the belt that brings them into the plane. I would buy insurance on it.