Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I think I might try this recipe too. I love biscotti with my coffee.

I have to say one thing though. Imitation vannila is a petroleum (sp?) based product. I wouldn't dare use it after finding that out.
I agree but also because the flavor breaks down. It's just not the same as the real stuff. I get the good stuff at a wholesale club and it last for a long time and the price is worth it. I love making biscotti, there are so many recipes and ways of doing it. I put a little oil on freezer paper and turn the dough out on it (which was made in my Kitchen Aid so no kneeding is needed), or extra flour which can make it tough if too much is added.The freezer paper makes shaping it into logs really easier and less messy. Every yr I teach others to make them at our anual cookie bake. I also have recipes made from brownie mix with added ingredients and also using Betty Crocker cookie mixes (the ones in the bag). There are so many recipes and ways to make them and even the baking directions vary alot. When I make them for one friend I don't do the second baking as long because she doesn't like them as hard as they are supposed to be. My favorite ones are lemon and pinenuts, white chocolate chips and mac nuts, and cranberries, pistachios and white chocolate. I also have a recipe where you use an herb mixture for a more savory biscotti. A lot of Italian recipes use cornmeal in theirs. The possiblilites are endless when it comes to these little goodies. A little history on them; they were originally created to dip into wine and not coffee.