View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Cindy60545

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
Sadly the time involvement is so great compared to what people want to pay. It is so pretty that lots of people would want to buy it until they hear the price.

Think simpler quilts like an Irish chain. They look complicated.

I get so many people who want to buy my quilts. They have no idea of the time involvement. My friend showed her quilt and someone saw it, fell in love and wanted to buy it. It was a queen size log cabin with hand applique, gorgeous thing. She was tired of it, never used it and thought $300. It paid for the fabrics and a little time but not much. No the person was not even willing to pay that, she was willing to pay less than the actual cost of the fabric.

If you want to sell them and at least make fifty cents an hour, use bargain fabric and do a quick quilt that looks complicated. People don't know fabric quality, hardness of design or even workmanship, they see color and shape.

But for this wonderful quilt, I see people wanting it for it's beauty but not willing to pay the time involvement plus cost of materials.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've also got quilts for sale, but am unwilling to drop my prices. I've used good quality material, spent time LAing them & so forth. I'm not going to turn around and give them away just because a non-quilter wants to pay Walmart prices. If that's what they want to pay, go to Walmart & let it fall apart in a year! Mine last forever! I do have repeat customers that commission me to make quilts for them, but they know I don't use cheap materials & know I spend the necessary time to complete a quality product.
What I do to come up with price is take all the materials, quilting, etc & double that amount for the time I've spent on it. Hence, if your costs amount to $150, you should be asking $300 for that quilt. Don't be shy either, stick to your guns on the price. If it sits for several months, then discount it 10-15% & maybe it'll sell. Don't sell yourself short! Too many people out there are not recouping their costs for material, don't be one of them.