Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM
romanojg

hi there, I've been doing embroidery for a little over a yr and do take classes as well. I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe now and for software I have 5D Pro, 5D organizer comes with the machine. The software will play a big role as far as organization and downloading goes. My teacher says even after all these yrs she's still fine tuning that part and always learning. Emblibrary.com under projects and kenny's archives he has lots of tutorials including organization, etc. Floriani has a great work book on stablizier; heres the link for that. http://www.rnkdistributing.com/pdf-f...Stabilizer.pdf
I check all the tutorials on all websites to get more ideas as to how to do things including the tons of learning things on Vikings site. My teacher also said that when you download your files you should make sure somewhere the name of co is attached so that if you ever have to reorder the design you'll know where to go and the orginal name (usually numbers) needs to be attached as well. Here's what I do: I set up a file called orders and then create folders in it;like for viking I create a folder called viking under the orders folder and download the files into it; keeping orginal name/numbers as file name. Then I open folder (its normally a zip file, I leave the orginal zipped) then I save the file under another section with a folder for what it is like Holidays, then sub-folder Christmas and save the file there. Say the orginal file number was 112 from Viking and it was a tree; it would be saved in Christmas folder and renamed Viking_112_tree. Then if there was something wrong with the file I could go to orders folder and find the file called 112 and restore it, if I had to contact the company then I'd still have the correct info to do so. Most companies will allow you to download files multiple times but the problem is the sometimes the archive them to save space and if you don't know the orginal name you can's ask the company and the picture won't be there. This way it'll be easier to redownload. I have folders called in Progress as well that I save files in while I'm working or modifiying them. Once I'm done changing them I move them into a file that has my name to it showing its been changed. Like I said, there are so many ways and I'm always figuring out new ways to do it and feel I'm not where I want to be yet. Different co have different ways how you download designs. Some of them put them in a cart rather you are getting them for free or paying for them. Some if they are free when you click on them will popup the option to save file right then. When I'm at work and don't have my software on my pc I just save them to a jump drive and view them when I get home. I don't know about your machine but Viking allows you to use different jump drives with the machine; not just the one that it came with. I put the orginal away incase I ever want to trade my machine in it'll be in good condition. There are so many free designs out there and lots of good specials. Here are a few of my favorites; emblibrary.com, oregonpatch (represents multiple co) cuteembroidery.com, juju.com, Hatched in Africa, annabove embroidery, urban threads, and there are so many. If you think I can answer any questions or clarifiy anything I've mentioned let me know and I'll be happy to help.

One thing when it comes to thread; before buying tons of one brand, check them out by buying a few to see how they play with your machine. My machine loves them all but I've heard some don't. I normally pick a few colors and then buy them in two shades because most designs that I've done do shading. Sears sells the Robinison online at a great price and it works great, Floriani and sulky, aurifil (mostly for sewing/quilting) Jenny Haskins, Presencia all have done really great jobs on my designs but play with and when you are looking at tutorials also look at the ones on needles because they'll cause more problems that the thread most of the time. Good luck and yes, I was just as confused as you are and didnt' ever think I'd learn enough by going to class once a month to make me happy but in a very short time by trial and error, reading everything that I could I've done alot and love doing it.