Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

I am new to embroidery (quilting too) and am asking if you have any suggestions as to a book, web site or anything that will help me learn how to download embroidery designs, organize them and then get them to my machine. I take lessons at my LQS, listen to directions on how to do this, but at home am totally lost. I have the Janome 12000 if that helps. When you first started machine embroidery were you as confused as me? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Dianne
    Dianne

Not much help I'm afraid cuz I have the same problem. I am not very computer savvy. Enjoynyour Janome-i have the 11000
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    take notes and keep them by you your manual is a big help. I was like you when I started but just keep doing it

I need help also but I have a brother machine, which is packed up and ready fior the house to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
    I am new to embroidery (quilting too) and am asking if you have any suggestions as to a book, web site or anything that will help me learn how to download embroidery designs, organize them and then get them to my machine. I take lessons at my LQS, listen to directions on how to do this, but at home am totally lost. I have the Janome 12000 if that helps. When you first started machine embroidery were you as confused as me? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Dianne
    I think in order for us to help you, we need to know where the problem is. What exactly don't you know how to do? Download?

For example, when you want to download a file such as an Mp3 file, you normally right click your mouse and where it says download, you release that. Etc.

Is that the problem? Because if it is, then those are basic computer issues. If you have a teenager around the house, get them to show you. They are amazingly patient--often much more so than a spouse!

As to how to get it to the 12000, I'm not sure how that works--but probably either directly with a cable from one to the other (from computer to the machine) or by putting the file on a flash drive and then physically transferring it (walking with it) to the embroidery machine. Once again, get a teenager to show you--they know how to do it all and will be amazingly patient with you. I know that a few years ago when I needed to learn how to download radio files (mp3), I didn't know how. My oldest son was great...he didn't demean me or laugh at me when I didn't know how to do the simplest thing.

Pretty soon I was showing other ladies who had no idea how to do something that it really isn't that hard--but it helps to be shown.

Blog Entries
    hi there, I've been doing embroidery for a little over a yr and do take classes as well. I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe now and for software I have 5D Pro, 5D organizer comes with the machine. The software will play a big role as far as organization and downloading goes. My teacher says even after all these yrs she's still fine tuning that part and always learning. Emblibrary.com under projects and kenny's archives he has lots of tutorials including organization, etc. Floriani has a great work book on stablizier; heres the link for that. http://www.rnkdistributing.com/pdf-f...Stabilizer.pdf
    I check all the tutorials on all websites to get more ideas as to how to do things including the tons of learning things on Vikings site. My teacher also said that when you download your files you should make sure somewhere the name of co is attached so that if you ever have to reorder the design you'll know where to go and the orginal name (usually numbers) needs to be attached as well. Here's what I do: I set up a file called orders and then create folders in it;like for viking I create a folder called viking under the orders folder and download the files into it; keeping orginal name/numbers as file name. Then I open folder (its normally a zip file, I leave the orginal zipped) then I save the file under another section with a folder for what it is like Holidays, then sub-folder Christmas and save the file there. Say the orginal file number was 112 from Viking and it was a tree; it would be saved in Christmas folder and renamed Viking_112_tree. Then if there was something wrong with the file I could go to orders folder and find the file called 112 and restore it, if I had to contact the company then I'd still have the correct info to do so. Most companies will allow you to download files multiple times but the problem is the sometimes the archive them to save space and if you don't know the orginal name you can's ask the company and the picture won't be there. This way it'll be easier to redownload. I have folders called in Progress as well that I save files in while I'm working or modifiying them. Once I'm done changing them I move them into a file that has my name to it showing its been changed. Like I said, there are so many ways and I'm always figuring out new ways to do it and feel I'm not where I want to be yet. Different co have different ways how you download designs. Some of them put them in a cart rather you are getting them for free or paying for them. Some if they are free when you click on them will popup the option to save file right then. When I'm at work and don't have my software on my pc I just save them to a jump drive and view them when I get home. I don't know about your machine but Viking allows you to use different jump drives with the machine; not just the one that it came with. I put the orginal away incase I ever want to trade my machine in it'll be in good condition. There are so many free designs out there and lots of good specials. Here are a few of my favorites; emblibrary.com, oregonpatch (represents multiple co) cuteembroidery.com, juju.com, Hatched in Africa, annabove embroidery, urban threads, and there are so many. If you think I can answer any questions or clarifiy anything I've mentioned let me know and I'll be happy to help.

One thing when it comes to thread; before buying tons of one brand, check them out by buying a few to see how they play with your machine. My machine loves them all but I've heard some don't. I normally pick a few colors and then buy them in two shades because most designs that I've done do shading. Sears sells the Robinison online at a great price and it works great, Floriani and sulky, aurifil (mostly for sewing/quilting) Jenny Haskins, Presencia all have done really great jobs on my designs but play with and when you are looking at tutorials also look at the ones on needles because they'll cause more problems that the thread most of the time. Good luck and yes, I was just as confused as you are and didnt' ever think I'd learn enough by going to class once a month to make me happy but in a very short time by trial and error, reading everything that I could I've done alot and love doing it.
    Judy

I am thinking that maybe the best thing you could for yourself is to see if they will do a private lesson. I know it normally costs more but then you have undivided attention and have someone who can really watch you while you actually do it - instead of you watching them. that normally works better for me.

The other thing that might work for you is to see if someone that was in your classes is really good at this - maybe you could get them to spend sometime with you, make a new friend and take her to lunch or make lunch at your house after you both work together for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    take notes and keep them by you your manual is a big help. I was like you when I started but just keep doing it

This is a good idea espeically when you are taking classes or even take a day and go in and talk to your teacher. Have your questions in hand; if you don't write them and the answer down you'll forget until you need it and then be kicking yourself. You all can do it. You don't have to be computer savy..Lots depends on your software that came with your machine but you can always just save them to a file on your desktop until you figure where you want to put them. Note; you won't be able to see them in this file but they'll be where you want them. on you pc
    Judy

I have a Brother PE 770.

I have 2 flash drives for it. These can be bought at Best Buy, Wal Mart etc.
    I go to several different sites for designs. I choose the format my machine uses, then download them to a file.
    Usually they need to be unzipped (another program Winrar or 7zip are good programs), I extract them to a folder usually named Emb designs so I know where everything is. Then I transfer the designs to the flash drive and take it to the sewing room and plug the flash drive into the USB port on the machine.

It looks as though your hooks directly to a laptop or a PC. This should make it easier to get designs if its hooked up to the internet.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Many thanks Judy for sharing your knowledge!!!! Justflyingin- I can download, say from Embroidery Library, but not sure how to get it onto a jump drive and then organize it into files. Maybe I need to pay a teen to help me or take a beginning computer class along with my many quilting classes I take. Boy I just love quilting and embroidery so much, But I don't like the learning curve that goes with it. I guess I want a reference so I can have something to help me when I get stuck. Judy, I will copy your post and appreciate you taking the time to explain what you do!! You gals are the best. Dianne
    Dianne

I get most of my embroidery designs from emblibrary.com – and they give the option of downloading the unzipped files (that saves the step of unzipping the files). I have a number of flash drives that I use (they are inexpensive, and I would rather have smaller-capacity ones so I don’t have to go through as many files to find the one I want). I get my flash drives from OEMPCWorld–I bought a bunch of 256MB ones for $3.00 (free shipping): http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/Drive-Cap.html

To put your designs onto the flash drive: put the flash drive in a USB port on your computer; go to the designs (I have a special folder on the “C” drive for mine, with a shortcut on the desktop); highlight the design(s) you want; right-click and click “Copy”. In Windows Explorer, go to the location of the flash drive (under “Computer”, it will show your drives, so you will see where the flash drive is plugged in); right-click on the flash drive location and click “Paste”. That will put the design(s) on the flash drive, but still leave them on your computer for future use. Be sure you copy only the “jef” file (for Janome machines); if you have a PDF color sheet, it does not go onto the flash drive because the embroidery machine can’t read that format.

Plug the flash drive into your embroidery machine, and select the USB button–it will bring up the designs on the flash drive; select the design you want.

Embroidery Library has an outstanding tutorial on how to organize designs on your computer. I use that format because I like to be able to see what the design will look like. I use the categories that are used at that website, and have subfolders for individual designs. I print the color sheet when I get ready to embroider a design, and file it in a notebook. I make notations on it to reflect thread colors that I use, in case I want to repeat the design later.

Here’s the link to the tutorial: http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...oductID=PR1735

Blog Entries
    Dianne, it really does sound like your problem is more in basic computer skills. Don't know if you were kidding or not, but if you have a teen relative or friend, that's not a bad idea. Moving an embroidery FILE to the jump drive, then organizing the files into FOLDERs is a basic PC skill that you can apply to other things. It's not embroidery specific!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Many thanks gals for your suggestions. I think a basic computer class is what I need, but I am printing off every post that has steps to help me. I really appreciate the info you have shared!!!!!! Quilting has led me to the nicest people!!!!!!

Happy New Year! Dianne
    Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
    Many thanks gals for your suggestions. I think a basic computer class is what I need, but I am printing off every post that has steps to help me. I really appreciate the info you have shared!!!!!! Quilting has led me to the nicest people!!!!!!

Happy New Year! Dianne
    A class might help, but don't think that you have to take a class.

Do you know how to create a file on your computer desktop?

If so, make one and rename it machine embroidery files. Then, download your files there. Then, at least they will all be in that one. if You don't know how, just look it up. It's probably on youtube how to create a file.

I'd then, take that file, and click on it to open it up. Then, right click and when the options show up, and one says "New Folder", release the button there and a new folder will show. Click on that and rename it to whatever you want. Do that over and over again and you can create files for the different categories of the files you are downloading.

This is much better than putting them all in one big file called machine embroidery files. I have to admit that having one big file is better than having them all over your computer, but having them subdivided by category or company is better yet.

OK.... I decided to write it up using the version of Windows I have. Put your cursor on your desktop and right click your mouse. A bunch of options come up. I am putting a picture of what it looks like on mine. You see about 2/3 of the way down an optName:  windows screen1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  195.3 KB

Let go of the mouse button when the new 'folder' is highlighted. You will then see a folder appear. That is your new folder. Give it a name. Do that over and over til you have the number of folders you want.

go to http://www.spoolsstash.com/ and d/l the free file organizer. Save it to MY Documents. Open to find many folders already named for storing your designs (tho you can change the names)
    I download designs from the internet & they go into the downloads folder on My Docs page. I open the folder, then open or unzip what I've downloaded. Then I either R click & choose ''send to My Documents, OR I click on "move" at the left side of the page. I then choose My Docs from the list. Then I go back to My Docs and sort the designs into the folders inside the organizer. If I want to use one or two or 3, I highlite the designs, again on the left of the page, I choose "COPY" and a window opens for me to choose where to send it or them. If I have a flash drive plugged in, it will show in that window as a certain drive (you might have to be watching in "MY COMPUTOR when you plug it in to know which drive your memory stick is in (I have several)---choose your flash drive ,then again click "copy"--this time at the bottom of the window. If you're sending the designs directly to the machine instead of using the flash drive, then you should have a little sewing machine icon in the task bar (or in My Computer page) and you would just ''copy'' to that. Now I have Windows XP, so this is how I do it. I find it works for me better to keep everything on my documents page instead of cluttering my desktop.
    You will enjoy the design organizer. When you've stored the various designs by category, then you can close the main folder again. And don't forget--you MUST unzip and open folders before copying to the flash drive...the machine cannot read them otherwise. And be sure the designs are the correct format for your machine or they won't show up..nor will they if the size is larger than your hoop can handle. There are free softwares for changing format..There is a free software for thumbnail viewer at
    http://www.sharewareconnection.com/p...-generator.htm and MY EDITOR is another that shows the image, resizes, reformats, splits/erases, digitizes from clipart, etc etc.

Wow we have all kinds of information for us beginners out there!!! I am finding the same problem with the "learning curve" and getting older is harder for the memory to retain!!! thanks everyone for all the helpful information. Even though we have different machines, we all use the basics in embroidery. I have found to just take it a step at a time and try to make has many full notes you can to follow in the future!! I wouldlove to see pics of everyones projects too!!!

Anytime I have to learn something new I try to take a class or have a one-on-one free from my LQS. I take my camera and a spiral notebook with me. I have even taken a tape recorder a few times. I find if I can write down instructions so that I can follow them it is much better than following an instruction book. Keeping these notes in a spiral binder and organized there helps me whenever I have to relearn something.

I also have a file on my computer for things I need to know. For example: I'll copy and paste into a Word document parts of some of the responses above and save so I'll have even more help for when needed.

Something I haven't done yet [OK, I'm lazy] is to use the website provided by the maker of my machine [Pfaff] and read the various discussions. A friend does this and has learned a lot. She even enters into the discussions. [I don't want to spend that much time on my computer though.]
    Last edited by AliKat; 12-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Do you have windows. Its not too hard. What I am doing is I created a embroidery design folder in my documents with different folder categories, FSL(free standing lace), ITH(in the hoop), Christmas, quilting, animal, flower, fonts, labels etc. Downloading my editor for free does this for you. Most site will ask you your format and hoop size and you can pay for the designs and they download to your download folder, some will unzip them for you. If not you just right click and you select extract all and you choose the folder by hitting browse and searching for the folder. Then they are stored on your hard drive and you need to copy them to your zip drive which you just do a copy paste. I keep everything on my hard drive and have several zip drives with my designs. I would suggest organizing the hard drive first and then transferring because my zip drives are random and I need to get them more organized.
    Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 12-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Same happened to me. I had my embroidery machine for a couple of month and did nothing. What made the trick was going to a class at the dealer. Best advise is to take notes. Just take detailed notes even thought you might think you "got it". Step by step, like: open the file, right click, click open, enter... etc.
    Then go home and do it again. You will have time to innovate later, once you feel comfortable with the task/function you learned. My first embroideries were from the built in designs on my machine because I didn't have a clue as to how "take" them from the computer to the machine.
    As for the organization, I am trying, I am creating files for each type but I read the comment about the company where it was bought and made me think. I haven't done that but usually they send you and email and I kept the emails in a folder so I guess I could retrieve it from there.
    good luck and show us your work.
    andrea
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Here are some of my embroidery designs done in class

I take an Embroidery class in which the teacher uses my jump drive to load the designs. I just am having a blast stitching out the designs! We made a Christmas purse and tea light covers.

Thanks again for all the info, everyone. I have copied and will be on the computer learning through your directions

Dianne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dianne