Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Embroidery using flash drive >

Embroidery using flash drive

Embroidery using flash drive

Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Embroidery using flash drive

I have a Bernette Chicago 7 embroidery machine that I am learning to use. I have never done embroidery prior. I have gone to my dealer and had the instruction class that they offer, and have master the built in designs. I am trying to move on to other patterns. I purchased a pattern at my quilt shop that they assured me would work with my machine, and I purchased the recommended OESD memory stick to use. I have it formatted to the ART and can view the pattern on my laptop, but when I plug it into the USB on my machine, it does not recognize the stick. I am looking for suggestions, please help me...
Old 07-29-2018, 09:16 AM

What size USB do you have? There might be limits on size such 2.0 gb. Make sure there is nothing else on the USB.

Are you sure the USB drive on the machine is reading? Can you try another USB and load the design onto it. Try that in the machine.

Is there a function button on the EMB machine? My machine has a machine pocket, USB or cable connection. You have to select "where" the design is located.

Next, what is the stitch count of the design? Size of design? What limit does you machine stitch? size of design limit?

Did you load the design only or a complete folder of designs? If I have a folder of EMB designs, I need to select each one and send one by one to the USB.

Try these suggestions. The next step would be to take the machine into the dealer and have them give you a demo using the USB for designs.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 AM

PS: It looks like there is a different format for your machine. Try exp or exp+ on the USB according to this page. The size limit is 4.3" x 6.9" for the design.

https://www.kenssewingcenter.com/ber...furbished.html
Old 07-29-2018, 10:14 AM

yes everything that rhonda k said and also if the design is bigger then what the machine is programmed to stitch the machine won't accept the design my first machine was like that......... gosh it's been so long ago babylock ellure anything bigger then 5x7 or more then 50,000 stitches(?)not sure on that maybe a little more) in a design machine won't reconized it.........hope you figure it out machine embroidey can be fun
Old 07-29-2018, 12:32 PM

thank you, I have not tried a different stick. I do not have the option to connect direct to my laptop without going out to get another cable for that. I am thinking of going back to my dealer, except it is a 2 1/2 hour trip one way! I am trying everything else first! I have called them but the woman with the most knowledge was off this weekend. I did put the USB into my computer and I can see the patterns there. It is a zippered change purse that I am trying to make so not a high number of stitches.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 PM

A couple more questions to trouble shoot the issues.

Is the file on your computer a "zipped" file from a download? If so, you need to "extract all" first.

Next, do you have software to change the format? Try the exp or exp+ format. It may be that you have the wrong format and the machine doesn't recognize the format.

You may have the format in the design. Check to see if it is listed in the design files. If you purchase from a web site, you generally choose the machine format at check-out.

What is the SIZE of the design? Even if the stitch count is within the machine limits you still have to factor the SIZE.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:02 PM

I believe the exp format is what your machine reads, as stated by Rhonda. Reformat and see if thais doesn't solve the problem.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:02 AM

I have a Bernina and use EXP format. Also I was told by the dealer to use the specially formatted Bernina usb stick.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sandynorm View Post
I have a Bernette Chicago 7 embroidery machine that I am learning to use. I have never done embroidery prior. I have gone to my dealer and had the instruction class that they offer, and have master the built in designs. I am trying to move on to other patterns. I purchased a pattern at my quilt shop that they assured me would work with my machine, and I purchased the recommended OESD memory stick to use. I have it formatted to the ART and can view the pattern on my laptop, but when I plug it into the USB on my machine, it does not recognize the stick. I am looking for suggestions, please help me...
I found instruction downloads for your machine at the bottom of the page: https://www.mybernette.com/en-US/Chi...Chicago-7.html

According to the instruction manual for the embroidery part of your machine (bottom of page 23/see Note) it says your machine reads ".exp" format only.

So once you have the design in your computer, save it as .exp to the USB stick. I didn't see how to do this, but in newer Bernina embroidery software...open Bernina software, open design, click save design as, a drop down box opens & you choose where & which format to save the design.

Place the USB stick in your machine. Scroll to the icon USB & chose it. Your designs should show up then. Choose the design & take it from there.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 AM

You can download Artlink for free from the Bernina website. It is a very simple software application that will allow you to convert your designs from ART to EXP. Just open the embroidery file in Artlink and save as an EXP file on your USB.
This should solve your problem.