View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
QultingaddictUK

I machine sew all my bindings ever since I became a Project Linus coordinator as the kiddie-winks quilts have a harder life than most quilts what with laundering and being Batman capes !

Their is a super tutorial here http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html for the "Flange" method, one of the easiest and most attractive ways to machine bind a quilt IMO

The best tip I was given was to over-lock or zig-zag stitch the edging after squaring up, see 1st pic, excuse the terrible FMQ need more practice, or less wine

I cut my binding strips 2.3/8" fold in half and table iron, run it down the sharp edge of your table. I sew the binding to the front with a 3/8" seam, which covers the over lock stitch perfectly. I then fold over and pin, horizontally so the pins are easy to take out as you sew. I never Iron, other than the table way and I NEVER use glue, uck!

First off I used to use quite a wide stepped zig-zag stitch, see pics but since I have got the dual feed on my new machine I have been doing a really nice Blanket stitch.

I only hand finished quilts for special ones, or odd ones! !
Attached Thumbnails overlock-stitch.jpg   ziz-zag-binding-front.jpg   ziz-zag-binding-back.jpg