Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with machine binding ... please!!!! >

Help with machine binding ... please!!!!

Help with machine binding ... please!!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I cut 2&1/2 inch strips, fold in half, press, then sew to the back, turn and topstitch on the front of the quilt. I definitely used a walking foot, I have good luck this way and am pleased with the outcome.
That is exactly how I do all my bindings. I find that they are strong and withstand all sorts of treatment and washings.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM

I machine sew all my bindings ever since I became a Project Linus coordinator as the kiddie-winks quilts have a harder life than most quilts what with laundering and being Batman capes !

Their is a super tutorial here http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html for the "Flange" method, one of the easiest and most attractive ways to machine bind a quilt IMO

The best tip I was given was to over-lock or zig-zag stitch the edging after squaring up, see 1st pic, excuse the terrible FMQ need more practice, or less wine

I cut my binding strips 2.3/8" fold in half and table iron, run it down the sharp edge of your table. I sew the binding to the front with a 3/8" seam, which covers the over lock stitch perfectly. I then fold over and pin, horizontally so the pins are easy to take out as you sew. I never Iron, other than the table way and I NEVER use glue, uck!

First off I used to use quite a wide stepped zig-zag stitch, see pics but since I have got the dual feed on my new machine I have been doing a really nice Blanket stitch.

I only hand finished quilts for special ones, or odd ones! !
Attached Thumbnails overlock-stitch.jpg   ziz-zag-binding-front.jpg   ziz-zag-binding-back.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM

I haven't done many of these as I kind of enjoy doing a hand binding. However, I did machine bind a quick baby quilt using my machine's herringbone stitch & looked great!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM

I use a 2 1/4 inch strip, pressed in half. I sew it onto the back side of the quilt at 1/4 inch, then I bring it around to the front and use steam a seam to secure it at the 1/4 inch line. Then I use a decorative stitch to secure it on the front. I like the finished look this gives my bindings.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM

This might be considered quilting heresy, but why can't we just fold the backing over and bind with that? It takes me as long to mchine bind a quilt as it does to free motion quilt it. I'd much rather spend my time piecing and quilting rather than binding. The last one I did I double folded the backing so the edge tucked under the batting on front, folded it again and that gave me a double thickness on the edge (hard to explain). It worked like a charm and from the front it's not possible to tell it wasn't actual binding.

Please don't send the quilt police after me for saying this!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Belfrybat, I did a minkie binding by pulling the backing up, folding it under and stitching it down. It worked really well and looked similar to the binding on a store bought blanket.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM

stitch in the ditch foot helps. also using zigzag or other decorative stitch. go slow. I press and baste with washable glue first. each one i do gets better. so much faster and more secure.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM

stitch in the ditch foot helps. also using zigzag or other decorative stitch. go slow. I press and baste with washable glue first. each one i do gets better. so much faster and more secure.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM

I use a walking foot to attach my binding to the back of the quilt. Press the seam then use those red clips to hold the binding on the front. This way as you sew it down you can see the stitch line to follow on the front. It is not perfect and I get off line sometimes but with practice I get better at it. The main thing is to stitch the binding on the seamline exactly. After the quilt is washed it hids alot of mistakes. Be sure your thread matches the fabric.