Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with machine binding ... please!!!!

Red face Help with machine binding ... please!!!!

I have a ton of UFO's and am really trying to finish them - both the quilting and the binding and the getting-them-out-of-the-house part, too. I am really trying to become educated on the best (only????) way to do double fold binding entirely on the machine. I just can't seem to get the hang of not missing stitches on the back or good measurements. Would a stitch-in-the-ditch foot help? I thought I might want to get one of those binder attachments, but as far as I know, they all only end up creating single fold - in other words (and maybe I have my terms wrong), I would like a double layer of fabric on the edges of the quilts. Help, please!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    You may need to make a little wider binding or take a narrower seam on the front side. Sharon schamber has some great youtube tutorials.

Power Poster
    I like Charisma's tutorial on QB for Quick Machine Binding with flange. You sew a 2 strip binding to the back and then stitch just inside the flange to machine sew it from the front. It eliminates the guess work out of machine sewing the binding.

Thanks, snipforfun! I learned a lot just now by watching the video, but she doesn't discuss how to FINISH it on the quilt. I am really not interested in handsewing it down. But they are great tutorials - I hadn't thought of looking there. Do you actually use the glue???

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    You may need to make a little wider binding or take a narrower seam on the front side. Sharon schamber has some great youtube tutorials.

Thanks, Tartan - I did check out Charisma's tutorial, but it seemed complicated. I'll give it another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I like Charisma's tutorial on QB for Quick Machine Binding with flange. You sew a 2 strip binding to the back and then stitch just inside the flange to machine sew it from the front. It eliminates the guess work out of machine sewing the binding.

I cut 2&1/2 inch strips, fold in half, press, then sew to the back, turn and topstitch on the front of the quilt. I definitely used a walking foot, or the IDT on my Pfaff. I have good luck this way and am pleased with the outcome.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I went to the website named- redpepperquilts. She has a good tutorial on machine binding. I can actually do mine now. I use to have my LA do them. It was getting too expensive.

Blog Entries
    I glue the binding in place then sew it using a narrow zig zag stitch in thread to match the binding. It is fine for quilts that are to be used a lot.
    Got fabric?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I gave up on doing binding and paid the owner of my LQS to bind my quilts with her machine. She did beautiful decorative stitches and it was within my budget and no stress at all. I just can't do it. I finally figured out how to do flying geese, so I feel okay with myself. I might venture into decorative stitching on my next binding and see if I can do somewhat close to what she did and if I can, then I'll bind again.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

It takes practice. I get better results if I make a test piece with the fabrics and batting
    I've used for the quilt. If there is a pieced border (lots of seams on the edge) I have to
    reduce the seam width or cut wider strips. I found it quite a bit tricky when I made a
    QAYG that had different thicknesses on the edge. I think I learned a lot from that quilt.
    It helps to sew the binding as straight as possible. Put a few pins and sit straight in
    front of your machine. I highly recommend the video which Holice made on binding.
    You can bookmark it. The site seems to be down right now (for me anyway).
    http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/134
    Don't worry if you miss a few spots. Most of my quilts have a few spots where I missed and have to touch up with some hand sewing. I'm getting better though, so will you.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I cut 2&1/2 inch strips, fold in half, press, then sew to the back, turn and topstitch on the front of the quilt. I definitely used a walking foot, I have good luck this way and am pleased with the outcome.
    That is exactly how I do all my bindings. I find that they are strong and withstand all sorts of treatment and washings.

I machine sew all my bindings ever since I became a Project Linus coordinator as the kiddie-winks quilts have a harder life than most quilts what with laundering and being Batman capes !

Their is a super tutorial here http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html for the "Flange" method, one of the easiest and most attractive ways to machine bind a quilt IMO

The best tip I was given was to over-lock or zig-zag stitch the edging after squaring up, see 1st pic, excuse the terrible FMQ need more practice, or less wine

I cut my binding strips 2.3/8" fold in half and table iron, run it down the sharp edge of your table. I sew the binding to the front with a 3/8" seam, which covers the over lock stitch perfectly. I then fold over and pin, horizontally so the pins are easy to take out as you sew. I never Iron, other than the table way and I NEVER use glue, uck!

First off I used to use quite a wide stepped zig-zag stitch, see pics but since I have got the dual feed on my new machine I have been doing a really nice Blanket stitch.

I only hand finished quilts for special ones, or odd ones! !
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't done many of these as I kind of enjoy doing a hand binding. However, I did machine bind a quick baby quilt using my machine's herringbone stitch & looked great!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

I use a 2 1/4 inch strip, pressed in half. I sew it onto the back side of the quilt at 1/4 inch, then I bring it around to the front and use steam a seam to secure it at the 1/4 inch line. Then I use a decorative stitch to secure it on the front. I like the finished look this gives my bindings.

This might be considered quilting heresy, but why can't we just fold the backing over and bind with that? It takes me as long to mchine bind a quilt as it does to free motion quilt it. I'd much rather spend my time piecing and quilting rather than binding. The last one I did I double folded the backing so the edge tucked under the batting on front, folded it again and that gave me a double thickness on the edge (hard to explain). It worked like a charm and from the front it's not possible to tell it wasn't actual binding.

Please don't send the quilt police after me for saying this!

Belfrybat, I did a minkie binding by pulling the backing up, folding it under and stitching it down. It worked really well and looked similar to the binding on a store bought blanket.

stitch in the ditch foot helps. also using zigzag or other decorative stitch. go slow. I press and baste with washable glue first. each one i do gets better. so much faster and more secure.

stitch in the ditch foot helps. also using zigzag or other decorative stitch. go slow. I press and baste with washable glue first. each one i do gets better. so much faster and more secure.

I use a walking foot to attach my binding to the back of the quilt. Press the seam then use those red clips to hold the binding on the front. This way as you sew it down you can see the stitch line to follow on the front. It is not perfect and I get off line sometimes but with practice I get better at it. The main thing is to stitch the binding on the seamline exactly. After the quilt is washed it hids alot of mistakes. Be sure your thread matches the fabric.