View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
DebPoole

I had the same problem when starting making quilts for other. DO NOT sell yourself cheap. YOU have a talent that the buyer does not have. If they want it, they will buy it. You shoulD charge 3 times the amount it cost in materials unless it's a quilt that has tons small pieces. $150.oo is way too low!
Here is how I learned my mistake....I donated a baby quilt to a cancer auction. It had my business name on the label. Because it was for a wonderful cause, I did a lot of special hand quilting on it besides machine quilting.
The new owner called me to tell me how she loved it. She just gushed over my little quilt. Then she wanted me to make 2 quilts for her girls twin beds with the same material, pattern and so on.
I explained that the particular fabric had been in my stash for a few years and I didn't know if I could find it.....she replies..."but I love those butterflies!".
I told her that the cost would be $150. ...she thought that was fair....( for both quilts) I told her just for one and she let out a deep breath. I had forgot to tell her she had to buy all the fabric, batting and thread. She said she would talk to her hubby and call me back.

She called back 2'days later informing me that she had went to Walmart and she could buy them ALOT cheaper there and thought I should come down on my price. Oh....and she wanted them done in 3 weeks! I tried to say as SWEETLY as I could......" u know, I think you should go buy your blankets at Walmart."

DO NOT UNDERSELL YOURSELF!!!! You will not make,yourself happy. So make one quilt for the shop and put a great pricing on it that pays you for your time and talent and make some place mats and table,runners and see what the people want. Good luck my friend.