View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Appa Valley

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Appliqué work is easier to do on the top before sandwiching. Are you planning fusible appliqué with Wonderunder or needle turn appliqué? I prefer fusible appliqué myself and I iron Wonderunder or Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric and then cut out the shape.The shape is then fused with the iron to the background and the edge is finished with a machine buttonhole or satin stitch. I think tracing his hand for the plain blocks would be cute. You could trace and include his whole family's hands on the plain blocks and hand embroider the names underneath. Really cute John Deere quilt top!
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely do that. Again, thank you!

Originally Posted by nunnyJo View Post
actually I would FM as you are quilting, the hands into the yellow. very nice
Is FM free motion? I've never machine quilted before (never hand quilted either, just tied) so the pattern would have to be something simple. I just can't think of anything.
Also, I'm not sure what color thread to use for this quilt. Since I'm a beginner I don't really want it to show up.

One more question, I promise only one more, lol. The quilt is a little too narrow (the blocks came out smaller that they were supposed to be) so I want to put a border around it. My question is should I use the tractor fabric for the border or something else? I'm also using that fabric for the backing so i don't know if it would be too much of one fabric.