Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Irish Chain and a few questions

  1. #1
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63

    Irish Chain and a few questions

    This is my third quilt, for my nephew who loves tractors. Next, is a close-up of one of the blocks and then close-up of a tractor square. Sorry for the poor light, it's cloudy here today.
    Name:  DSC_1916htrh.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  157.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_1918jdtrygn.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  72.6 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,623
    very nice good job!!!!
    QUILTNMO

  3. #3
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    Heres the third picture. For some reason it wouldn't let me put anything up after the second picture.
    Name:  DSC_1919rtjg.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  110.9 KB
    My first question would be what type of quilting should I use for this quilt? I was thinking of quilting 1/4 inch all the way around each 9 patch square (can't remember what that is called) or quilting a grid through the 9 patches. I have no idea how to quilt the blank squares. But i was also wondering if it was possible to trace my nephews hands onto fabric and then appliqueing (sp?) them into the blank yellow blocks. What is the easiest way to do that and would I do it BEFORE layering the quilt?

  4. #4
    Super Member Blinkokr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Deltona, Florida
    Posts
    7,091
    Great job, Thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

  5. #5
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    Forgot to say that I was planning on using the tractor fabric for the backing, too.

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,887
    Appliqué work is easier to do on the top before sandwiching. Are you planning fusible appliqué with Wonderunder or needle turn appliqué? I prefer fusible appliqué myself and I iron Wonderunder or Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric and then cut out the shape.The shape is then fused with the iron to the background and the edge is finished with a machine buttonhole or satin stitch. I think tracing his hand for the plain blocks would be cute. You could trace and include his whole family's hands on the plain blocks and hand embroider the names underneath. Really cute John Deere quilt top!

  7. #7
    Super Member nunnyJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fl./ WV
    Posts
    4,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    actually I would FM as you are quilting, the hands into the yellow. very nice

  8. #8
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Appliqué work is easier to do on the top before sandwiching. Are you planning fusible appliqué with Wonderunder or needle turn appliqué? I prefer fusible appliqué myself and I iron Wonderunder or Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric and then cut out the shape.The shape is then fused with the iron to the background and the edge is finished with a machine buttonhole or satin stitch. I think tracing his hand for the plain blocks would be cute. You could trace and include his whole family's hands on the plain blocks and hand embroider the names underneath. Really cute John Deere quilt top!
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely do that. Again, thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by nunnyJo View Post
    actually I would FM as you are quilting, the hands into the yellow. very nice
    Is FM free motion? I've never machine quilted before (never hand quilted either, just tied) so the pattern would have to be something simple. I just can't think of anything.
    Also, I'm not sure what color thread to use for this quilt. Since I'm a beginner I don't really want it to show up.

    One more question, I promise only one more, lol. The quilt is a little too narrow (the blocks came out smaller that they were supposed to be) so I want to put a border around it. My question is should I use the tractor fabric for the border or something else? I'm also using that fabric for the backing so i don't know if it would be too much of one fabric.

  9. #9
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,361
    Really great quilt.

  10. #10
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    Look!! I figured out the multiquote thingy!

  11. #11
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    And thank you to everyone who likes it. I really really do appreciate it.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Diane007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    12,402
    Blog Entries
    1
    FM for a well used quilt

  13. #13
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,887
    Blog Entries
    45
    looks great so far
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?


  14. #14
    Super Member wuv2quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,927
    Great quilt
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

  15. #15
    Senior Member angiecub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    519
    I would add a narrow black border and then use the Deere fabric again for a larger border. It will not be too much of the Deere fabric even if you're using it on the back. As for the quilting, you can do a simple diagonal line through the squares--both directions on the quilt so you'll end up with x's in your squares. If you do the hand print applique, you probably won't want to quilt through those.

  16. #16
    Power Poster gabeway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    10,488
    Great job!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

  17. #17
    Super Member LindaMRB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,149
    I would quilt a grid on the solids to mimic the plaid, sort of.
    For the tractors I might quilt along the plaid areas and NOT the tractors, so they pop out...what do you think?
    This might be more easily accomplished if done by hand than by machine.

  18. #18
    Member Appa Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaMRB View Post
    I would quilt a grid on the solids to mimic the plaid, sort of.
    For the tractors I might quilt along the plaid areas and NOT the tractors, so they pop out...what do you think?
    This might be more easily accomplished if done by hand than by machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiecub View Post
    I would add a narrow black border and then use the Deere fabric again for a larger border. It will not be too much of the Deere fabric even if you're using it on the back. As for the quilting, you can do a simple diagonal line through the squares--both directions on the quilt so you'll end up with x's in your squares. If you do the hand print applique, you probably won't want to quilt through those.
    Thank you everyone for the advice, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. I think I'll quilt the diagnals through the 9 patch and then for the plain blocks do the applique and maybe echo around it.
    I practiced some machine quilting for the first time today and I have to ask, what do I do with the thread tails after I'm done with a quilting line? And also, what color thread seems to go with pretty much anything?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.