Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
winterpromise31

Default Does this fabric work with the overall selections?

I hope I'm posting in the right place!

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my fabric selection. I am still a newbie quilter and fabric selection is where I feel the least confident (I should stick to buying fabric collections instead of trying to match things myself).

The first photo is the pinwheels I'm making. This is my first time doing both HSTs and pinwheels and I am having a lot of fun with the design. However, I'm not feeling confident about the yellow and brown blocks.

The second photo is of the other fabrics I have picked out at the moment, though I'm going to be finding a darker orange to replace the medium valued one. The values don't contrast enough. The top right fabrics are blue but they show up more purple in the photo. Then I have the red and purple to make additional pinwheels.

The monkey fabric is going to be my border and the giraffe one is the backing. I originally picked out the brown in the pinwheels because it looks like an animal print and fits the theme but I'm not sure it works with the rest of the fabrics. The quilt is for a 1 year old boy. Should I swap out they yellow and brown pinwheels with another color, and if so, what color? I already have red, orange, blue, green, and purple included. OR should I leave out the yellow and brown altogether and just make additional blocks with the other colors?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm having fun with the quilt and want to avoid cringing at the end product.
Attached Thumbnails img_5889.jpg   img_5890.jpg   img_5893.jpg