Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by gspsplease View Post
I recently picked up a book published in 1992 called something like "Joy of Quilting" (and I am a retired librarian!). I was horrified to see that the instructions for a scrap quilt told you to cut each square out with scissors and then piece. Even though there were some nice designs I decided that book should go to the recycling bin rather than the charity shop, in case a new quilter was led astray and quit in frustration.
At our quilting group I sometimes show some of the newer methods I have learned from this board like the easy pinwheels and disappearing 9 patch, and I can tell that some of the older members are just polite -- not really interested in the changes -- but that's OK -- they are much better quilters than I will ever be -- I'm a bit slapdash.
Altho I lean toward traditional patterns, I also look for the quickest way to get there........so if I read a pattern that seems to be the old fashioned way to me, I look for the more up-to-date way...nowadays I am trying to translate as many as I can into GO die cutting............