View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM
patricej
Administrator

i don't sign up for classes so might not know what i'm talking about.
i assume, though, that the primary reason a person would sign up for a workshop is to learn something.
so, i would further assume that the person didn't know already how to do whatever was going to be taught.
soooo ... the next stop on the logic train ride is that most participants will not be wowzer experts in that subject/technique right off the bat. mistakes are to be expected. disasters not at all out of the ordinary.

were you comparing your own results to everybody else's and worried that yours did not measure up? pish tosh, m'dear. you are you. they are them. you wouldn't have plunked down the cash for the class if you were already an expert. don't be so hard on yourself. chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax.

since you were able to sit down and do it to your satisfaction once you got back to the privacy and quiet of your own home i would say you accomplished the main mission, which was to learn something new.

take practice fabrics to the next workshop so gafarbles won't matter as much.
don't demand instant expertise and perfection of yourself.
don't worry about how your results compare to anybody else's.
don't be afraid to ask questions of the teacher and of other students who you think seem to have caught on more quickly than you think you have. questions are great icebreakers. you might start with a question and end with some new friends.