View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Maggieloe

5 years ago when I was deciding to get back into sewing I asked a friend of mine who taught sewing in home economics for 30 years what machines she recommended. She said Brother. She said they worked forever and held up to the constant use and abuse in the classroom. I ignored her and bought a Viking Sapphire. Last year I bought a Brother pq1500s because I became tired of the fussyness of the Sapphire. Have been truly happy with it and use it for all my FMQ and piecing. Still have the Viking for the fancy stuff because the Brother I have only does straight stitching.
That said, I think all of the lines, including Brother, do produce some very inexpensive "plastic gear" type machines so maybe it is best to be careful and ask around.
I also should mention one problem that just developed with my Brother - which truly surprises me because it seems so stable otherwise. When I wind bobbins, the needle part of the machine no longer shuts down so the needle is going a very fast. I guess I will have to have someone look at that. Anyone else had that problem?