Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: brother sewing machines

brother sewing machines

Does Brother still make good sewing machines? I bought mine 15 years ago for $150 at WalMart. It still works great and the only thing I've done is replace the light bulb when it went out, other than regular maintenance. I have used mine 3-4 days a week and the only reason I'm looking for another one is to get a larger updated one with more quilting features. I'm just wondering if the quality is still there in their products. Before that I had a Kenmore that I bought at Sears for $100. So I've learned not to judge a sewing machine by the price tag.I don't quilt on my machine, I machine sew the quilt top and then hand-quilt.

Banned
    I have a new Brother Dreamweaver machine the Sew/Quilt version. I absolutely love it. So many features and sews beautifully.

I'll check out the Brother Dreamweaver. I'm making more machine applique quilts and paper-pieced quilts lately. My old machine is fine for regular patchwork and strip piecing, but there's not very much room for moving my block pieces around to work on them. I guess that's the difference between the older machines and the newer ones. And I want one that has an assortment of quilting feet.My granddaughter has already asked for the older sewing machine to learn on when I buy a new one.

I bought really cheap brothers from Walmart for my class and they were real workhorses and never had any problems. I personally love Brother machines, but mechanically, I don't think there's much difference between Brothers, Janomes and Kenmores. Brother just came out with a new line of machines that are really nice.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I have had brother machines for over 20 years. I have used the most basic in their line all the way up to the Quattro, which is the one I use everyday. I had one motherboard go out on my second machine due to factory error. That repair was completely covered by warranty. I have had no problems with these machines and would highly recommend them.

I have had 4 brothers in the last 20 years cheapest starting out at 109 and most pricey at 9000, all have been great machines, all have been no trouble. all still run as good as the day I bought them, one is even from walmart, one is even refurbished, so yes they still make great machines, and I love my dreamweaver as well. It is a dream
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    I own 7 machines.

Singer 15-91
    Pfaff something or other. It's 20 years old and lives in a closet.
    Janome serger
    Janome 1600P (9" throat)
    Singer 201 (aka Wow), stretched to 18" throat
    Brother SE270D
    Brother 1500s (9" throat)

Both Brothers are by far my favorite machines. I drove my "Baby Brother", the SE270D, daily for 5 or 6 years until I snagged my 1500. It's still my go-to machine for zigzag, buttonhole, etc. But I love, love, love my "Big Brother", the 1500. It's on the list of things to grab in case of a fire, along with my kids and the family photos.

I have several Brother sewing machines, and I love them. Brother also makes a great serger as well as sewing machines. I think you will be happy if you get another.

I have 3 Brother machines, they were not expensive, But they have been wonderful machines!

I own 2 Brothers a cs60000i and a 100 dollar one from Wal-mart!!! They are great!! I everything from mug rugs to king size quilts on the [email protected].I bent my needle threader by getting in a hurry and discovered there is a little tiny hook on the threader that I bent out of shape. I used a straight pin to bend it back and voila!!!no more problem with the threader..works like new!!

I own three Brother machines and I love them all. Bought all three at www.allbrands.com They have free and fast delivery and good prices.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have a Brother XR9000 that I use almost on a daily basis. I bought it 3 years ago when I decided to learn to quilt. I bought a refurbished one on-line. I was scared to do that, but it worked out well for me. My only complaint is the small work area, but it didn't cost much. I am dreaming of the Dreamweaver!

I have two brothers also. LOVE them!!!

I have 4 brothers along with other brands. I love them. I sew everyday, sometimes all day long. They just keep sewing along. Some people want name brands, expensive. I want a Cadillac for a Volkwagen price. Everyone has their own opinion and it depends on what you want your machine to do. If you are just using it to piece then you don't need one that does all the other stuff.

I have Brother 8500D and love it. I also have a Bernina, two Janomes and a Kenmore. My Brother is my favourite by far. My friend has two of the same Brother 8500 and loves both of them. She would buy mine if I was foolish enough to sell it. Never happen, I love my Brother.

Oh, yes, I love my Brothers. My 1st Brother broke after 6 years of hard use. But it broke in transport during summer vacation. It was either dropped or something fell on it when DH packed it for the return trip home. It was a very inexpensive machine - getting it fixed would have cost more than a new one - so I bought another, more expensive, but not super expensive, Brother. I'm delighted with it.

Blog Entries
    count me as a Brother sewing machine fan! I recently purchased the PC420 and love it! sews like a dream - so quiet and perfect stitches. gave my old cs6000i to my sister who only owned Singers, but now she too is a fan.

Blog Entries
    janome now (owns) brother---so they have the good warrenties now too...i (had) a really expensive viking & a couple brother's --- the kids used to (fight) over getting to use one of the brother's...they would wait - stand in line for one while the viking sat there idle! they are good (beginner) machines too- i bought brother's for my granddaughter's when they wanted to start sewing because they had (speed-control) which is a good feature for a young person just learning- they love their machines & the machines have held up very well....i did wear one out---but i sure got my money's worth before it was finally (done!)
    janome now has---janome, brother, pfaff, (elna?) and necci machines...they are a good long-standing company (151 years - i think it was last year they had their 150th anniversary) they stand by their products, good customer service...affordable and lasting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have a little Brother Innovis-10 which I bought around 3 years ago. I'm not a super heavy user (I tend to go a few weeks or months at a time without sewing, then go through a phase of sewing nearly every day), so not sure how much my feedback will be worth, but I love my little machine. It's not the fanciest of machines, but it does everything I need and I've had absolutely no problems with it so far.
    Mishi

i love my brother machine and i wanted something a little heavier to sew denim and such and i lucked up on an older brother machind with metal insides and its almost 30 yrs old and sews like a dream so i would definately stick with a brother. im thinking about getting an embroidery machine come tax time it will depend i have some home projects planned first depends on the budget and how much we get back.
    carla m

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I have the Mickey Mouse embroidery machine that I bought at Walmart 7 years ago. It is small, light and has lots of features. I have used it in our RV when we travel. I love it. I have 3 Viking machines at home....love them best! The diamond is too big to travel with..besides I think the bouncing around might not be good for it. I am in the south now and brought my Viking 770 (I think that is the #) It just seems wrong to not be using the brother. I never use this machine...so I thought I should rotate it into service.

Blog Entries
    I use this brother and I really love it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-10...Q9050/17039056 Just a cheapy but it does all I want it to and more.

Blog Entries
    I have had three Brothers machines and I love them. One burnt in a fire and I immediately replaced it with another Brothers. A pacesetter 8500. That was back in 2000. I just sold it to my sister-in-law. Runs like a charm. I basically use my Brothers Quattro. I just love love love my machine. I've been using this one about a year and a half. I sew every day and I've not had any problems with it. Would buy another Brothers any time.

Blog Entries
    I love Brother machines. I bought one at Walmart for my future DIL for about $150 and liked it so much that I got one for myself. I also love the Brother PE-770 which is an embroidery machine. Great machines that run forever.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I have 3 Brothers and love them all. The only problem I've ever had is me. (not knowing when to slow down.) hehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast