Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM
fleurdelisquilts.com

My hubby built or rebuilt most of the furniture in my sewing studio. The work table is standing height and is actually three table tops: he removed the legs and put the tops on a huge frame he built. We got them at a "garage sale" when two schools closed down in another town. (just got lucky reading the papers one day and saw a closing sale) The legs were wobbly so they were really cheap but the Formica tops were in beautiful condition. Since they match, it appears to be one table. Because it's so big, I can spread whole quilt tops on it for pinning and such. The frame he built for it has one shelf under the top just high enough to slide large plastic bins under. I use the shelves as storage for garment sewing items. Oh, I can walk completely around the worktable, so I set up different stations for different jobs: applique is on one side near the Studio cutter, pressing on another side, cutting on another and the fourth is for dropping down fabrics to audition. The hardest part is cleaning up after a quilt is done.....there's lot of room to put things down!

Since I fidget and move around a lot, (I'm so ADHD) hubs built a sewing table with nothing under it except the legs in the corners.....keeps me from bumping my knees and legs on drawers and such. It's amazing how just that has helped, so don't be afraid to ask for something crazy.

Love my pegboard....only thread goes there! Also love my design wall which is simply a flannel tablecloth tacked to the wall nearest the worktable. It won't hold large heavy pieces, but it comes in handy for putting together blocks.

Just think about what you MUST have, then consider that you'd like, then toy with what you'd do if "money were no object." You'll figure out where to begin. Most importantly, just choose to enjoy what you can manage and hope to upgrade or improve as you go. Nothing in my space is new or fancy, but I love it all the same and appreciate what we have been able to accomplish.