Thread: Rotary cutters
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
TanyaL

If your hand moves when you are using the cutter, then bad cuts are probably not the fault of the cutter, but of your hand movement. Have you analyzed why your hand moves? How far can you push the cutter before your hand moves incorrectly? For starters I would tape my single fabric to my cutting mat so that it couldn't move. Then when my ruler was in position I would tape it down so it couldn't move. Then I would push my cutter however far I could before my hand moved incorrectly. At that point I would stop, rest my hand muscles, change the position of the arm if necessary - all without lifting my cutter from the fabric if possible- then cut however farther I could before I knew my hand would move incorrectly again. This sounds like a lot of pain-in-the-a-- prevention, but after awhile you should be able to anticipate when you need to rest or reposition your hand and not have to secure your fabric and ruler. You should have the fine cutting results with your cutter blades that the rest of us do. I think it is learning the correct hand motion and pressure, not thinking you are the victim of cutting voodoo. Too much pressure will make that cutter not work right, wobbling your hand will not give you straight cuts, etc. Tense muscles do not work well, etc. Good luck on analyzing where your problem actually lies.