View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
BluegrassGurl

I use the table method with two 1"x4"x10' boards for my quilt top and backing. It works great for me. I saw this method on Sharon Schamber's youtube video and love it. The only thing different I do is I use a fine point basting gun.... she does hand basting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

I went ahead and posted steps of how I do it for a large <QUEEN size>quilt below:

Step 1: Lay backing on table (wrong side up)<WRONG up side>. Tape edge of backing on board and roll onto board slowly.... straightening as you go. Hint: I use painters tape. Put board aside.
Step 2: Lay quilt top on table (right side up)<RIGHT up side>. Tape edge of quilt top on the other board and roll onto board slowly .... straightening as you go.
Step 3: Place "board with backing" on table, allign as needed and unroll to edge of table.
Step 4: Place batting over backing, allign/smooth as needed... let the "extra" lay over edge of the table.
Step 5: Place "board with top" over batting, allign/smooth as needed and unroll to edge of 'backing' board.
Step 6: Baste unrolled area
Step 7: Pull basted edge off front of table to the point where the boards are on the edge.
Step 8: Pull batting over front edge of table, unroll backing ...... bring batting over unrolled backing.... letting extra hang over table...... unroll quilt top to edge of backing board.
**Repeat step 8 until quilt is basted.

The great thing about this method is that if the table you are using is not wide enough to accomodate the quilt, you can easily manipulate moving it with the boards.

Hope this helps!