Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Great story....How does one do one of these rugs?
if you do a search for 'locker hooking' you will see how they are made- there are books available-some quilt shops carry them & the supplies- books are== the Happy Hooker series.
you use a hook that looks like a crochet hook with an eye in the end- you use open-weave canvas (like the old latch hook canvas) you use string (i use the cotton people use to crochet dish clothes) i toss all of my scrap strips into a basket when i'm quilting (anything less than 2" wide that i may not want to use for quilting) then when my basket is overflowing--- i start another rug...they use alot of scraps! i generally cut my strips about 3/4" wide to hook with- depending on the weight of the fabric- if flannel then 1/2" if thin cotton maybe a whole inch- what ever is easy to hook & fills the space. I've been making these rugs for years---have half a dozen around my house-have given away many- there's a new book where they are making purses/totes...seems like they would be very heavy! i do make hot pads- (for setting hot dishes on) and placemats sometimes...it's a great use for those strips other people just throw away- i pretty much do not throw fabric away- i always find a use for it-