View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 AM
mhollifiel

I only piece tops for my guild's Project Linus blankets so, yes, I do marathon cutting. I basically inventory my stash every January (February this year!), select "companion" pieces and make up medium to large sets from the stash. My raised 6' two mat cutting table is on the screened in porch so I save cutting until spring and fall when the weather is really nice. I have a smaller mat on my big sewing table but just cut strips into units and only rarely need to use that one for cutting up fabric.
I do marathon cutting where I get 10" squares, 4 1/2" strips and 2 1/2" strips from these companion fabric sets. Odd leftovers are cut into 1 1/2" strips. I use the initial or end cut strips (uneven waste) to tie these cuts stacked together for later marathon strip piecing, etc. I mostly do Wicked Easy quilts and Potato Chip or just checkerboard. I have a tub of 2 1/2" strips for jelly roll race style quilts and a huge pile of 1 1/2" strips for scrap strip piecing when that mood strikes. The 10" has really been a useful cut since I can further cut it if needed. These cuts do about all I need for my piecing!
This works well for me. I finished piecing 75 tops for our PL projects in the last 6 months of 2012, took a long cycle trip to Alaska and kept up with our two crab pots' production as well as regular cooking and a wee bit of cleaning! (I clean house every three months whether it needs it or not!)
Since I have lots of cut squares and strips on hand to work with, I spend the really cold, really hot, and rainy or inclement weather sewing tops and I am never bored with it.