Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ever had a cutting/sewing "marathon"?

Ever had a cutting/sewing "marathon"?

I'm thinking that I have so many projects I want to do! So I am thinking about having a quilting "marathon" of sorts. My plan is to spend a couple days just cutting several projects out, and then sew and sew and sew as much as I can b-4 I have to press. Then press everything, and get back to sewing, and finally when they're all done I get to quiltand bind them all and admire my work! heehee. I figured if I did it this way for a week or 2 in all my sewing time I might be more productive than I usually am with only starting one project at a time, and having to finish, or nearly finish something b-4 letting myself start on something else. I try to make myself finish one project b-4 starting another one (in all honesty once a quilt top is on the LA cutting and piecing the next one is free game!) in an attempt to avoid having several UFOs, but there are so many things I want to make I feel like I'll never get to work on them. But this way I'd get to work on them all! Well, not all, but like 5-10.

Anyway, it's just an idea I had. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done anything like this? If so, do you have any advice??

In my old age, I would probably get the wrong blocks in the wrong place. Might be a little too confusing for me, but good luck with your plan! I have way too many projects started..need to get them finished.

a friend with OCD

she cuts a bunch of quilts at once, pieces them all, quilts them and then binds/labels them

works for her, but my mind wanders too much
    Chris-the-quilter

Ego Venit, Vidi, Ego Consuerunt (I came, I saw, I sewed)

chris-the-quilter.blogspot.com

LOL! I've done 2 at a time before without trouble, hopefully adding a few more won't cause problems.

Blog Entries
    my poor body would be so sore from doing the same task over and over for too long of a period of time. i'm more productive if i 'mix it up'
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Holy cow! I have enough trouble keeping the pieces straight for one quilt at a time, much less several projects at a time! I would never trust myself to do that!

I don't even cut everything out for the entire quilt at a time as I find that I change my mind, or my measurements are a bit different than what they were supposed to be. I cut the pieces as I go, as I need them.

Good luck!

Yes, several times. Including in Oct/Nov when I whipped up 19 baby quilts in 2 weeks to donate to our Guild which then gives them to the NICU at our local hospital.

I cut out half of them, sewed them together, pressed them together, then cut the other half (cause I did not know how many I was going to do) sewed them up, pressed them then Figured out the backs, pieced the batting and sandwiched them all the same day, then quilted them all as a group and then bound them all.

Just be careful not to mix up your pieces.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I have cut and sewn two quilts the same at the timenot very challenging they were identical just went to differ people.

Most of the time I am working on several quilts at the same time. Especially baby quilts. I usually cut out about 4-6 and then chain sew etc.

Right now I have 2 lap size going. Just got the first top finished and am working on the borders on the second one. Cut them both out at the same time and chain sewed them together. I hope to get the backs done tonight or tomorrow and then sandwich them and a huge queen size quilt tomorrow evening over at my church.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    my poor body would be so sore from doing the same task over and over for too long of a period of time. i'm more productive if i 'mix it up'
    Same here Nancy. I need to limit how much time I spend on each task. By switching between cutting, sewing, pressing, etc. I don't feel sore in any part of my body.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Due to my lack of space, I can be setup to sew or to quilt, but not both at the same time. So I do exactly what you outline. I cut a bunch of stuff (making my own "kits"), I sew assembly line when I am set up for sewing, quilt when I can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
    Holy cow! I have enough trouble keeping the pieces straight for one quilt at a time, much less several projects at a time! I would never trust myself to do that!
    Good luck!
    Me too!!!!!

I think this is a great idea. Especially since I also can either sew or quilt and I use my cutting table to hold the blocks I'm piecing. I may try this on the weekend. Doesn't lend itself so much to paper piecing though (or does it?) and I have several paper piecing patterns I would like to try.

Sunni, don't forget Westminster is Feb. 11 and 12.

I was involved with 30+ quilters from Alex Anderson's MB after 9-11 in making rag quilts. We delivered over 600 quilts to NYC Fire Co's and Police Depts. by the middle of December 2001. So I guess I can say yes, did that.
    I have to give credit to Olfa for all their help also......They were wonderful!
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

And I would be so sore I wouldn't be able to walk LOL I know this cause been there done that and was sorry

Nooooo!!!! I couldn't keep track of everything. I have two quilts and two wallhangings going, and already mixed up fabrics!...or I should say "borrowed" from one project for another.

for quilts, not so much. Back in the day when i was sewing for my kids I would spend a day or two cutting out multiple dresses/shorts/pants in the needed sizes. I got real good at adapting patterns for multiple sizes, too. I would then sew "unit style" like you would in a factory. Wasn't quite as much fun but I got a lot done.

I keep several projects going at the same time, and in different stages. I need to change up tasks, as I don't want my body to rebel to badly...
    Try your idea to see if it works for you! You'll have the experience to know to continue that way, or do something a bit different~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Never done more than one quilt at a time but do sewing marathons every Sunday. Just early am and sew till time to go to bed. That's how I get alot done.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

I only work on one project at at time. I am to old to maration anything!!!! LOL

I always just cut and make one sample block before I go any further with a new pattern...just in case (1) I hate the block or chosen fabrics together, (2) there's an error in the written measurements or instructions, or (3) I mismeasured something. It's saved me a ton of work, fabric, time, and frustration over the years.

I also never cut the borders or binding until I'm ready for them. It's too easy for the measurements to be different from what was planned or for me to change my mind on fabric choices. There's just no way I would ever cut several projects ahead of time. Good luck and have fun if you decide to go that route!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't even cut everything out for the entire quilt at a time as I find that I change my mind, or my measurements are a bit different than what they were supposed to be. I cut the pieces as I go, as I need them.

Good luck!
    I do the same. And also, if I did it all cutting, all sewing, all sandwiching, etc. I'd NEVER finish because my favorite processes are the cutting and the piecing. I would be piling up those tops and never finish them -- as it is the tops are piling up....and I do them one at a time.
    Last edited by GailG; 01-31-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I am sore and tired of doing 4 quilts in 6 weeks. One is almost finish another is ready for the LA lady cause it is to big for me to do on my DM. Two more are all pieced and have to make boarders and make backing and quilt and bind and make labels for all of them. I am going to make small items for awhile.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I have ADD and fibromyalgia (which gives a person a foggy brain). I can't even chain piece very well. I put my pieces on a flannel board, take two pieces down to sew, press and return to board before I take any more down. It is a slower process, but saves lots of unseeing.
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

I am in the middle of doing that right now. I cut out 3 and them worked on them a little in turn. I did it because one of them was the same block over and over and I get bored. One was a sampler and the variety kept me going on all three. Now to get them quilted and bound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast