View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Why did you wash it in hot water?
Originally Posted by frusratedquilter40 View Post
And I am curious why is shrank that much maybe washing and drying on hot??? I hope you can figure out a good solution for the backing now. I think I would contact Henry Glass and let them know what happened and if they have had others have the same issue with that particular fabric.
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i have to ask too....why did you wash it in hot water? did you have a (bleeder)? were you going for maximum shrinkage?
i purchase and pre-wash wide backings all the time- some shrink a bit more than others- but i don't wash anything in hot water unless i want it to shrink as much as i can possibly make it...
i bet if you check their website and check the (care instructions) for that fabric line it probably tells you to wash in cold water or maybe warm water- i've never bought a quilting fabric that when checking the care instructions says to wash in hot water....
Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Oh no!!! So sorry!! I always prewash my fabirc but have never use hot water. Again I am so sorry this happened to you!!!
Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
curious to the reason behind washing in hot water and drying in a hot dryer. I don't wash anything in hot water except maybe periodically my whites. But even then, I still dry on med heat.

My quilts I wash cold water/gentle cycle and dry on perma press cycle.
Thank you all for your sympathy! I always have a "Plan B" for the backing - this time it will be a pieced back!

On the hot/hot issue: I prewash all my fabrics this way to rule out any potential color loss or shrinkage problems - especially when the final product is for a paying customer. And yes, I go for maximum shrinkage intentionally. In this case the fabric is dark red, and has what feels like a pretty normal density for a backing fabric - not as tight as you'd expect for "top" material, but closer weave than basic muslin. Since I cannot control what the recipients do with the quilts I make (even though I always give care instructions stressing cold wash and line dry) I try to make them as bullet-proof as possible before I hand them over! Usually shrinkage is in the 1-3% range, with perhaps a little distortion to the lie of the fabric.

I have NEVER had shrinkage like this, even with flannel, and since I "pretreat" all of my fabrics the same way I feel this is (fortunately) an outlier.

I won't contact Henry Glass because I am not expecting to be compensated: I am sure that their care instructions do indeed say "cold wash, low temp dry by blowing gently across the fabric with slightly puckered lips on a warm summer day", and that my kamikaze approach contravenes all of their instructions. Also, almost all of the sites I come across do say that "up to 10% shrinkage" is possible - I've just never had it happen before! I was posting more to show that that "up to 10% shrinkage" is a real possibility...something all the non-prewashers may want to know (she says, stirring up the wash/not-wash controversy yet again.)

Alison-Recovered-From-Her-Dismay-And-Embracing-The-Idea-Of-A-Pieced-Back

Edit - I see that Quilt E has just made many of the same points I have - sorry for the repeats!