Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MASSIVE shrinkage - beware >

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Henry Glass is a well known and very good company too... thats very odd...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 AM

I may be off base here but I believe that all cotton will shrink that is 100% cotton. I am 66 yrs. old and grew up wearing a LOT of cotton feed-sack dresses, etc...and remember that we always knew that anything made of cotton was going to shrink. I think that's why they started added the polyester to the fabric-mix...to cut down on the shrinkage. . . and some of that might shrink to some degree.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
............ I think that's why they started added the polyester to the fabric-mix...to cut down on the shrinkage. . . .
.......... and to save us from the need to iron!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM

i, too, wash in hot water and dry in high heat. if something gets on the quilt, especially things like vomit or hairballs, i'd wash that quilt in the hottest water i could get! and so would most moms! so, if it's going to shrink i want it to do it before i give it away, not after. so far i haven't made any "for display only" quilts, other than dq's, so real life is what my quilts face.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM

Mhollifiel, How eloquently said! I bet you were a very good school librarian, too.

Last edited by berryberry; 02-21-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: left off name to whom I was replying
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by marla View Post
Perhaps we should make a point of complaining since most fabrics are done in China. Companies are starting to come back to the USA as they are finding out they are not really saving money going there. Quality is so poor. So I say we need to get those companies back to our soil.
Some fabrics are made in China ... but most higher quality fabrics such as Moda, Hoffman, RJR, Northcott etc come from S. Korea or Japan ...

sadly, don't think textile manuf. are EVER coming back to the US ... that ship has sailed !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 02-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Perhaps we should make a point of complaining since most fabrics are done in China. Companies are starting to come back to the USA as they are finding out they are not really saving money going there. Quality is so poor. So I say we need to get those companies back to our soil.
Do you know the reasons why textile companies went overseas in the first place? Those reasons would have to be reversed for them to bring their textile businesses back to the US. I believe that the cost of producing their product including wages, benefits, taxes, other overhead, got so high they could not compete with foreign textiles and people were not buying their fabric in enough quantity to make a profit. Now the cost of production would be even higher with the average cost of Obama Care going to be about $15,000 per worker in a factory, diesel for transportation just over $4/gal and present day utilities higher, plus there has been no cut in taxes for manufacturing. We would probably be looking at fabric costing $25-30/yd at the break even point and no one can run a business without profit. Maybe you have other figures.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM

I did complain to Henry Glass, but I got no response. Since I didn't purchase the fabric (my quilt customer did, washed it at my direction and then gave it to me) I haven't contacted the store she got it from. If it had been my order I might have been more aggressive about following up...

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
I may be off base here but I believe that all cotton will shrink that is 100% cotton. I am 66 yrs. old and grew up wearing a LOT of cotton feed-sack dresses, etc...and remember that we always knew that anything made of cotton was going to shrink.
You are not off base at all! I expect shrinkage with 100% cotton too, I was just startled at the amount. Most quilting sites say that cotton can shrink up to 10% - but I have never encountered that before, and certainly not from a manufacturer as respected as Henry Glass.

Alison
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 AM

Like many of you, I continue to follow this thread hoping to hear a response from Henry Glass. To that end (and because I'd like to see if there's a reason for this, especially one that would be useful to us consumers), I contacted HG via their web site, http://www.henryglassfabrics.com/contact/ Here's what I said:

Many of us are following a thread regarding your fabrics on Quilting Board http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t213149.html
We're hoping for a response/ explaination as this discussion continues.

Many thanks!

Don't know if this will expedite any response but it can't hurt!
Have a great "low shrinkage" day!