Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 AM
nhweaver

Customers are used to seeing the sized fabric item that they see in all the stores. (new manufactured items are not prewashed.) Most mothers would wash anything and everything that comes in contact with baby skin. If the colors are all pastels, I would not prewash, but include washing instructions, like stating use cool water, gentle detergents to enjoy a lifetime of use, etc. I prewash darks now, the small pieces (2 yards or less), I wash in the bathroom sink, very warm water and detergent. I swish around, and then let sit a few minutes. If the water is colored, I rinse and repeat. If I still get bleeding, I do a retayne sink wash. Then test again. If it still bleeds, it gets dried and goes into a tub marked bleeders. I then wash them en masse, with color catchers in the washer. It takes care of the fabric bleeding, again IMO.

If you are washing by machine, use color catchers and, a good idea would be to trim on an angle all cut corners. It helps eliminate millions of tready strings. I also use delicate bags to hold some pieces, and use color catchers. I pre-dry until damp in the dryer, and then hang dry. It gives more body (IMO) and makes it easier to iron. By the way, I dislike ironing.

Originally Posted by daisygirl0706 View Post
Hello I am new to quilting and sewing and I want to tell you all how helpful this board has been already! I have always been interested in quilting and when I married my husband I hit the jackpot, his grandmother quilted. She was not able to teach me as much as we would have liked when she lost her battle with cancer, so I am trying to still learn. I have been making baby items for family member's baby showers and have never washed any of my fabrics before sewing. However I have decided to try and make a little extra money for the family and make some baby items and lap quilts to sell at a local gift shop. I have been reading posts and would just hate to make an item and have it a customer get it home and have the fabrics bleed when washed. Although I have never pre washed my fabric, do you just toss it all in the washer with detergent and then the dryer and if needed iron? Thank you in advance for your tips of advice!!!

Last edited by nhweaver; 02-09-2013 at 06:30 AM.