Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When selling a piece do you prewash your fabrics? >

When selling a piece do you prewash your fabrics?

When selling a piece do you prewash your fabrics?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM

I prewash/machine dry all fabrics....using retayne for bleeders (typically reds or blues)....it eliminates any unwanted chemicals as well as shrinkage...and when the quilted item is complete, I wash again....that gets rid of any dirt/oils from my hands it may have picked up during construction....a cotton batting will shrink enough during that last wash/dry to get that desired crinkly look in the fabrics....that last wash will also bring to light any areas that may need attention.....loose threads, stitching coming undone, etc.....but that is all me and my honest opinion, everyone will have their own set of rules....LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i always wash so i don't get any surprises after the quilt is made.
I alway prewah also, except precuts. I also starch when pressing fabric does not look prewashed and is easy to cut, piece, and quilt. Hope you do well with your sales!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM

I would let the family wash it, they could have allergies to detergents, and moms will usually wash everything they get from their child. I am almost allergic to all laundry detergents so I have to use a special one and with many kidshaving allergies these days I would let the mom wash it in what she wants
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I very rarely pre wash anything but flannel, but always wash the finished quilt before I use it or give it away. I wash it on a regular cycle, cold water, and dry like anything else. I figure the recipient will not want to give it any special treatment, so I do that to see if there are any problems. So far I have been lucky.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Thank you all so much for you tips!!! I might have to start prewashing since I don't want any unhappy customers with surprises!!! I guess since my washer & dryer are in the basement with my sewing area it wont be to hard lol. Joanns here I come on Monday!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I would let the family wash it, they could have allergies to detergents, and moms will usually wash everything they get from their child. I am almost allergic to all laundry detergents so I have to use a special one and with many kidshaving allergies these days I would let the mom wash it in what she wants
that said, i would wash the quilt anyway, and it would be up to the receiver to wash again. washing it the first time will show the subtle or not so subtle little puckers that may show that the quilt shrank a little, too. it will also make sure that there were no fabrics that bled. besides prewashing for the chemical aspect, it is best not to have other surprises.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I prewash all fabrics on a gentle cycle in hot water and dry in a hot dryer. I want any and all problems known before I even start sewing.

Baby quilts will generally be washed in hot water by the buyer (even before using if they're smart), but I'd much prefer that I get any surprises first. Besides, commercial fabrics are treated with formaldehyde and other chemicals and that, to me, is reason enough to prewash, especially anything intended for babies.
This is my thinking, exactly. I prewash when the fabric comes in the door, and wash again when the quilt is finished.