View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
roseirish48

In my last posts, i was bragging about the number of seams I had sewed after the crazy search for a little more of the fabrics i needed. Today I decided I was going to work on getting my previously completed pieces appliqued to the background so that hopefully in a week or so,they would be ready to join into a top and be ready to layer nd quilt. So i got out the background material and carefully cut my 7" background squares that the pattern called for and got ready to applique the first block. Appliqueing is not my strongest point so knew it would take a while to get them all done. However, I find it is going to take much longer than I had planned. I carefully laid the applique piece on the background only to find it the wrong size! Quickly referring back to pattern, I found the problem. The instructions state to make templates according to "Quilter's Schoolhouse Pages" which clearly stated "add seam allowances to your applique pieces if hand appliqueing". I had done exactly that which is why i had that maniacal search for more of the fabrics. I had taken my freezer paper and slapped it down on the pattern and traced it and added seam allowances and had cut all the pieces and did the preliminary sewing as stated. Only when I looked at the pattern piece in the magazine--Lo and behold--it already has seam allowances! No wonder they dont fit the background blocks. Mr Rippit and I are going to be having a grand old time in the next few weeks.