Thread: Snow storms.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Nancy Ingham

It snowed all of Friday and Saturday giving us in New Hampshire anywhere from 24 to 34 inches of snow. Well, we closed our place of business about 3:00 PM on Friday and headed home for our 45 minute ride around the lake when we decided to stop by our mechanic’s place to pick up our extra set of truck keys in case they were needed over the weekend. Our mechanic lives on a very steep long hill…..yes; you know where this is going!

Even thought we started down the hill barely moving, our truck (Ford 250 Crew Cab) lost it and it went into an accelerating rate of speed down the hill, across the street, off the road down into then out of a gully and was heading for the trees. It was very obvious that we were not going to stop so my husband moved his foot from the brake to the gas pedal and fought the wheel to turn the truck around. First the truck stuttered throwing up snow, dirt, twigs and rocks as we just missed the trees by a foot or two. Then we rode at an angle along the gutter headed for an electrical pole when Ron fought to get the truck up out of the gutter and successfully, we slammed back down onto the road. We were both shocked that we didn’t crash and grateful still that we didn’t injure any unsuspecting traveler along the roadway. No, God just wasn’t through with us here on earth.

I had called my daughter on my cell phone when we were on top of the hill to insure that she and her family were home safe and sound when our ’ride of terror’ happened with the phone open. She said she heard it all; the dog barking, my screaming, the truck banging and throwing itself around while all she could do was listen, terrified as to what was happening to us. She couldn’t believe that we not only survived but were back out onto the road continuing our trip home. We had our seat belts on and the truck is going into the garage for a good going over on Wednesday.

Once home the storm was beautiful to look at while we spent a quiet day Saturday at home and I enjoyed machine quilting.

Sunday the storm had passed, the sun was shinning with blue skies. We spend the day digging out from the storm at our place of business with the temperature a delightful 46 degrees.

Traveling home again on Sunday the roads were not only clear by dry, and everyone was out and about enjoying the snow. Going by one lake there were cars racing out on the lake and many bystanders cheering them on…..and the annual fishing derby was underway on the big lake with a huge turnout. The largest fish in each of several categories (trout, bass, etc) received cash prizes: First prize $15,000, second $5,000, and third prize was $1000.
Here in NH we are used to big snow storms and many snow enthusiasts really get excited when a big storm is predicted.

I feel bad for those in our neighboring state of MA that have lost power and those in the South that received damaging tornadoes. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless!

Last edited by Nancy Ingham; 02-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.