Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow storms.

Snow storms.

Have been watching the news and wondering what it is like over there, hope you are all safe and keeping warm.

Blog Entries
    Where I am it is cool (for us) but sunny and nice. The northeast I think is really getting it~

Blog Entries
    I'm in Texas and we're under a storm, tornado warning. But no rain yet. I have my fraidy hole ready under a 250lb. desk. If it goes, I'll go with it. LOL

I am near Albany, NY and we only got 9 inches of snow. Everything was closed all day yesterday in preparation of the storm, however by nightfall we only had 1 inch. The rest during the night.

My son, in CT, got 20 inches of snow and the roads still aren't driveable.

A friend of mine lives near Concord, NH and they had 28 inches of snow with an additional 3-5 inches to come.

I guess we made out easy. No power outages and just enough snow to burn off the extra calories sitting around eating during the storm.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him!
    All in the Family (from a mentally challenged worker)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

35 mi. outside of Boston we got about 24-28in. Noisy night with the wind and snow. Everyone okay. Today it looks like a "winter wonderland"
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

We think we have about 15 inches here in NH but since we didn't have to go anywhere, we haven't been outside yet. The sun is out now and it's stopped snowing. We never lost the power. It was an old fashioned snowstorm. Thanks for asking!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All of you stay warm out east. We are find in Iowa, no snow but SD is suppose to get a storm tonight so we might get something early week. We really need the moisture so we can make that corn grow this year and sendit east.
    Learning to Love the Journey.

Blog Entries
    we're expecting our big snow/ice/rain storm tonight. we're on the cusp, so not sure which we are getting.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

We had a beautiful snow... About 15".. The car is still where I left it before, but will dig it out in the a.m... Socrates had a couple of problems with finding places to eliminate without falling deep in the snow.. Also the ice melt stuff has him dancing.. Of course when we get in, an additional problem of getting the snow that stuck to his hair, and caused ice balls.. What a wonderful day...

Blog Entries
    Here is Near philadelphia PA. WE got about 6" and didn't loose the electric. Woopie! Over the years I have learned to be prepared and ready for about two weeks of trouble, which has happened in the past.

Name:  Snow Feb 9 002.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  170.3 KB

Hope everyone made it through without to much damage or trouble.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 02-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

My youngest son is holidaying in the US. He is in Orlando now but is supposed to be flying to New York on Tuesday, what are his chances with flights cancelled etc. It is causing me some concern.
    The snow looks beautiful but I know when it starts melting it's not so beautiful. Stay safe.

Blog Entries
    That is an absolutely gorgeous picture! I hope you have power.

I don't know where in New York your son is traveling. In Albany, we are supposed to have rain on Monday, then partly cloudy until Saturday which will then be snow showers. Therefore, all flights she be flying. Late however, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonglow View Post
    My youngest son is holidaying in the US. He is in Orlando now but is supposed to be flying to New York on Tuesday, what are his chances with flights cancelled etc. It is causing me some concern.
    The snow looks beautiful but I know when it starts melting it's not so beautiful. Stay safe.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him!
    All in the Family (from a mentally challenged worker)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    we're expecting our big snow/ice/rain storm tonight. we're on the cusp, so not sure which we are getting.
    Good lMorning! Just got up (6:00 AM) thinking Oh, My Goodness, I am going to have to shovel us out for sure. Oh, about 1/4" so far and it isn't even snowing. We are expecting up to 5" here in St. Paul, so I best get the truck moved for a snow emergency for sure - anything over 3" - SNOW EMERGENCY!!!! Hey, they do a darn good job here. I am all ready for a good old fashioned frozen gully-washer!!!!!! Got food in the refrig, freezer, and cat pantry, got heat, got the computer and my quilt that I am working on. Can't ask for a better day. Edie

PS - I hope all of you Easterners are bearing up. You really got socked.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    In Guelph the storm is over, the driveway is dug, the sun is shining, its -20 and........wait for it..........its going to rain tomorrow. Gotta love it.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

30 inches and I'm still digging out. Ugh. No sewing or pictures as I need to open doors! The drifts are up to my chest. Head hanging and too sore to move in chilly Long Island ny
    From the heart
    Nancy

There's n calories in whatever you eat in a snowstorm.I'm in northern Indiana,and that's the word here.

You guys in Commack got hit pretty hard. Newsday showed pictures of the cars stranded on roads, and the people that stayed with them.. We had about 13".. It was very pretty..
    Quote Originally Posted by linynp View Post
    30 inches and I'm still digging out. Ugh. No sewing or pictures as I need to open doors! The drifts are up to my chest. Head hanging and too sore to move in chilly Long Island ny

We're in Central Maine, we got between 18-25 inches, it varies with the direction of the wind. Hubby went out with the snowblower and right then a friend from a farm down the street came and plowed us out with a snow plow on his big green tractor. Thank God, it would have taken dh hours, it got done in 15 minutes. All that's left to do is around the car and the front stairs.

We are in western CT-mid-state. We have drifts in the 4 foot area but also cleared areas where the wind blew the snow off. The fur babies have been having fun pouncing in the snow and trying to play. I was out with them and sunk to my knees most places. No power loss and few dimmers, but all in all, a lot of wind and a lot of noise.
    Staying off the roads and out of trouble-mostly-the trouble that is-Not going out as it is not needed.

Eastern side was worse off with more snow and winds. The shore had tide surges and power outages.

Dee
    We had wind and snow fell all nite and all Sat. Tonite the rain and ice over the 4" we got Sat.. Didn't loose elect., but was prepared. Thanks for asking. Very thoughtful of you.

I'm on the south shore of Long Island - we got 18 inches of snow. My neighborhood has mostly been cleared though some side streets are still untouched. The Long Island Expressway is still closed from Exit 63 all the way east to its end in Riverhead. This is just unbelievable!! Many friends are still stuck at home due to lack of plows coming down their streets! People can't get to work; most schools are closed today. This morning (monday) things are just as bad as the temps are still at or below freezing and we've got black ice!! Heavy rains today will only make things worse.....I can't wait for my next Florida vacation!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Here is Near philadelphia PA. WE got about 6" and didn't loose the electric. Woopie! Over the years I have learned to be prepared and ready for about two weeks of trouble, which has happened in the

Hope everyone made it through without to much damage or trouble.
    peace
    love the pic. The snow make it look so beautiful!

Freezing rain in NE right now. Hoping we don't loose electricity. Don't mind camping for a bit but would rather wait for summer. Have plenty of food,wood and batteries. Material cut and ready to hand sew and book to read. Staying off roads keeping warm and toasty by the fire.

Long Island, NY blizzard 2013

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  1.57 MBHelping Hands.....needed to get your car dug out....Mormon missionary young men like angels have been helping us here on Long Island as we "dig out"!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast